free website stats program softail dip stick | Harley Davidson Forums

softail dip stick

HOLY DIVER

my 03 Deuce has the solid dip stick not the hinge dipstick,i don't have a manual yet but i'm thinking with this dip stick oil level should be checked with the bike upright and not on the jiffy stand?one last thing the dip stick on my old bike had 2 marks full hot and on the bottom add oil,this dip stick has 2 marks with check with oil warm written in between them i'm assuming the top mark is full hot?correct?

I do believe that the oil is to be checked at operating temperature and with the bike resting on the jiffy stand. Otherwise, your oil level will be low. The area between the two lines is the operating level and you don't have to add oil until it is below the bottom line.

If it has a limp/floppy dipstick ck. on jiffy stand hot. If its a stiff one ck upright when hot

Jim has you covered here...:s

Also very important:

OIL may show LOW to VERY Low at first check COLD... DON'T ADD Oil.. Looking into the tank and seeing oil down in the tank.... IT is there usually, just down in the engine crank/sump area... (it leaked by the oil pump). Oil tanks up on the side of the bikes USUALLY will allow oil to run out of the side oil tank (gravity) into the sump area after sitting for some time.

Start it, Don't Blip the accelerator, just keep it at Idle until you can see the oil at (probably) the full level... (about one minute of idle)

IF you bike doesn't leak down oil like this, it is one of the few.

My 06 sport R 1200 looses oil in two day sitting...:shock

signed....BUBBIE

Taken from the 2003 Softtail Duece Owners Manual available for reference on https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/om/2012/en/TOURING/file-8.html .
Checking Oil Level

Check engine oil level at each complete fuel refill.
caution-web_450.jpg
Do not allow hot oil level to fall below Add/Fill mark on dipstick. Doing so can result in equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00189a)

caution-web_450.jpg
Oil level cannot be accurately measured on a cold engine. For pre-ride inspection, with motorcycle leaning on jiffy stand on level ground, oil should register on dipstick between arrows when engine is cold. Do not add oil to bring the level to the FULL mark on a COLD engine. (00185a)

caution-web_450.jpg
Do not overfill oil. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction. (00190b)

Oil Level Cold Check

1. For pre-ride inspection, place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached).
  2. See Engine Oil Filler Cap. Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
    NOTE:
    The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.
  3. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and verify the level of the oil. The correct oil level should register midway (2) between the FULL and ADD marks on the dipstick.
NOTE:
If oil level is at or below the ADD mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to the middle of the two marks on the dipstick.

Oil Level Hot Check

NOTES:

• The engine will require a longer warm up period in colder weather.
  • Engine oil level hot check should be performed only when engine is at normal operating temperature.

1. Ride motorcycle until engine is at normal operating temperature.
  2. Place vehicle on level ground and rest the vehicle on its jiffy stand (unless sidecar is attached). Allow engine to idle for 1-2 minutes. Turn engine off.
  3. See Engine Oil Filler Cap. Remove filler plug/dipstick and wipe off the dipstick. Insert the dipstick and tighten into the fill spout.
    NOTE:
    The oil level marks for checking with motorcycle upright or on jiffy stand are on the same side of the dipstick. Be sure to use the correct portion of dipstick when checking oil level.
  4. See Engine Oil Dipstick. Remove the dipstick and note the level of the oil. The level should be between the ADD (1) and FULL (3) marks. Add oil as necessary to bring the level to the FULL mark on the dipstick. Do not overfill.
    NOTE:
    Refer to Recommended Engine Oils. Use only recommended oil specified in Engine Lubrication.
  5. Start engine and carefully check for oil leaks around drain plug and oil filter.
om01566.jpg
Engine Oil Filler Cap

sm05900.jpg

1. ADD QT (lower) mark
  2. Cold check level
  3. FULL (hot check) mark
Engine Oil Dipstick

mine has a straight dip stick does not have the hinge that letts the stick flop down,only thing that makes me question

When its warmed up it, setting straight up, the oil should be level with the bottom weld bead on the filler neck. I ran my Fatboy like this for 10 years because the aftermarket straight stick had no marks on it, well none that I could see. Remember its an oil bag and not a pan like on a car, if you can stick you finger in the hole and touch oil your good to go.

Back