free website stats program Softail deluxe 08 | Harley Davidson Forums

Softail deluxe 08

gazzaboo

I am riding an 883l at the moment but have just had a test ride on a Softail Deluxe. It was beautiful. However, being vertically challenged, I was just able to reach tarmac with both feet and felt a little cautious of getting on a cambre and not being able to hold the bike up properly. Is there any modifications that I can do to the bike to reduce the height or seat to make it better for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am riding an 883l at the moment but have just had a test ride on a Softail Deluxe. It was beautiful. However, being vertically challenged, I was just able to reach tarmac with both feet and felt a little cautious of getting on a cambre and not being able to hold the bike up properly. Is there any modifications that I can do to the bike to reduce the height or seat to make it better for me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have no fear, you can buy the bike and have the seat altered. You can have it lowered, narrowed or a number of other things to.

This guy can do it all for you, fast turn around too.

Mean City Cycles Custom Seat Modifications :: Home

Any 883 I’ve been on was higher than softails. I’m 5’6”, yep mighty tall, compared to say a 6 year old. I’ve had six softails and my last two bikes fatties. There are many dual shock lowering kits. J&P sells a set of easy to install mods that extend the shock arms thereby lowering the rear for about 60 bucks. Progressive shocks cost some bucks but if you are buying a new bike and intend to keep it, I’d probably opt for that. I have a 4.5” clearance, which means I take them slanted corner turns a little slower or something taps. Some seats are lower but also wider, which don’t help. Slimmer seat pulls your knees closer and can lower you. Also check out Harley’s “Forward” seat, it has more padding at the back to scoot you forward a tad so your not as stretched out on forward controls, one word of caution on that seat is every one I’ve seen the logo in the seat is so thin is separates from the rest of the leather after a while. I think a softail frame is one of the most versatile on the market and there are lots of ways a vertically challenged person can fit it perfectly.

Lowering any bike will change the ride and handling characteristics, usually not for the better. It's more advantageous to get the seat altered with the link in my post above.

Glider, thanks for the contact I am getting in contact with them.
The biggest problem is the width of the bike. Even though the 883 is higher its width is much smaller. Been down to the dealers today and sat on various bikes. May have to bite the bullet and go for a 1200 Sportster low and modify from there. I blame my parents for this! I could modify my legs/boots - may be easier :)

Dude, you'll know the bike you want when you see it, you won't have to compromise as much when you do. But as you see here, lots of us at 5'6" and under are riding fatties and softails so don't let height dictate you decision, only your wallet.

the primary does cause small issue as my leg is very close, its easy to handle 2 up as well

Hobbit, I've also noticed that about the primary when I sit on the Heritage. It's been a small concern but it sounds like you've got a handle on it and not much of a problem. More like getting used to it? Also when 2 up on my current bike it feels great because the whole thing lowers a bit and feels great. Does that happen with your Heritage?

One more thing about the height. I don't feel as flat-footed as I like when sitting on it, but I tried it with my thicker heeled riding boots and it felt a lot better.

Back