free website stats program softail charging system | Harley Davidson Forums

softail charging system

markie3

ok i have a 1987 softail changed the charging system with a cheap kit still not charging so bought a new hd stator and new rectifirer still no charging should i get a new hd rotor at wits end thank you in advance

should i get a new hd rotor

No.
You didn't say where you were checking the voltage. Verify charging voltage by measuring output directly at the voltage regulator. Go between frame ground and the regulator output wire at the main breaker (or pierce wire w/ probe). Measure at 2000 RPM. If 12.8 or lower, disconnect stator from regulator & measure the AC output of the stator at 2000 RPM. Should be about 38 volts AC.
Also make sure the regulator has a good ground using some internal star washers under mounting bolts.

ok i have a 1987 softail changed the charging system with a cheap kit still not charging so bought a new hd stator and new rectifirer still no charging should i get a new hd rotor at wits end thank you in advance

No.
You didn't say where you were checking the voltage. Verify charging voltage by measuring output directly at the voltage regulator. Go between frame ground and the regulator output wire at the main breaker (or pierce wire w/ probe). Measure at 2000 RPM. If 12.8 or lower, disconnect stator from regulator & measure the AC output of the stator at 2000 RPM. Should be about 38 volts AC.
Also make sure the regulator has a good ground using some internal star washers under mounting bolts.

Hoople has you covered here, the rigid mount softails will loose a ground easily

Back