free website stats program socket size | Harley Davidson Forums

socket size

Fisherking

This probly has been covered some were , but I cant find it . What are the socket sizes for the compensator nut and the main clutch nut on a 2003 electra gluid .
Thanks F.K.

This probly has been covered some were , but I cant find it . What are the socket sizes for the compensator nut and the main clutch nut on a 2003 electra gluid .
Thanks F.K.

I forgot my manual at home and I'm going to buy them at my lunch

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe these are the sizes:

1 1/2", standard thread compensator nut - regular socket or six sided.
1 3/16", socket for the clutch hub nut - reverse thread

Avoid the temptation to use an impact gun on the compensator nut. Might damage the rotor (magnets might move). It is supposed to be torqued to 150-165 ft-lbs. Use a breaker bar and a cheater. Heat gun might help with the lock-tite.

Clutch hub nut torqued to 70-80 ft-lbs. REVERSE!!!

Supposed to use red lock-tite on both when assembling.

Cheers,

TQ

TQuentin1 can you verify that the compensator and clutch fasteners are not metric? I measured mine with calipers and it was closer to 38mm for compensator and 30mm for clutch than it was the respective SAE sizes that you listed. So I went and bought the metric sockets and got a much better fit. So what I would really like to verify if it is metric or standard thread.

TQuentin1 can you verify that the compensator and clutch fasteners are not metric? I measured mine with calipers and it was closer to 38mm for compensator and 30mm for clutch than it was the respective SAE sizes that you listed. So I went and bought the metric sockets and got a much better fit. So what I would really like to verify if it is metric or standard thread.

If you have those metric size sockets, they will probably work since:

38mm = 1.496058" vs. 1.50" for 1 1/2" socket
30mm = 1.181099" vs. 1.1875" for 1 3/16" socket

They may be a pretty snug fit, but large sockets generally have some slop to them so I bet they will fit.

Cheers,

TQ

Back