So what living thang or thangs have you ran into-- and at what mph?

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by the real WILDPIG, Aug 19, 2009.

1. OK ive ran into birds, a red fox ran into side of springer, rabbit, several dawgs during the course of riding-- hav'nt been thrown yet-- but came close. an missed deer by 1-10 ft several times.
  2. Redman

Redman Active Member

Hit a deer at 45...took flight broke my leg, right arm, collar bone, jaw....this was on a Yamaha enduro back in 79 or 80....ouch....had to just lay their for a good 1/2 hour watching the deer die and passing in and out. Country road in the fall. I am very reluctant to ride at dusk in the many deer.:s
  3. down here in nc espcially eastern half o the state deer collisions are not uncommon--- overwhelmingly the results are diasterous............ for some reason impacts with deer is like hittin a brick wall.......... huntin em i can tell u there is no fat mostly bone n muscel........... one quick deer collision story-- and if i say it-- its true-- my brothers best buddy hit a deer at 115+ as they and several others were road racin 2 yrs ago. this happened 20 feet in front of my brother.................................. it killed the deer,, permanant injury to rider-- at least he can walk now....................... they were on ducati's and had the habit of roadracin round the county on sat mornings. i busted his lil with the sportbike/bmw mentality--- i cant believe you harley riders wear those lil 1/2 beanies brain buckets--- so i shut him up when i said-- fine person you are to talk bout hd riders not wearing helmets and you and your buddys run 120 mph+ on your ducati's on public roads.......................................... yea baby-- i shut him up................. i say wear or dont wear what you wanna.
  4. Redman

Redman Active Member

I have had many helmets and rarely wear one...was not when I hit the deer...broken jaw. I just dont feel as in touch with my surroundings with one. I do wear one when it rains...but thats about it..unless I am in a mandatory state or passing through. I know everyone has an opinion about this but I maintain to each his own....its a personal choice.:D
  5. Stormrider51

Stormrider51 Active Member

I thought I hit a bird one night at 70 mph. Turned out to be a large grasshopper. Hit me on the cheekbone just under my left eye. Didn't lose the bike but thought I was going to for a minute.

I also hit a large pothole when going about 50 mph on a dark road. Took the bike airborne. Heck of a thrill. Kept it upright and rode it out.

Both incidents took place when I was much younger and bolder (stupider). I learned the value of a windshield from the grasshopper and to slow down on unfamiliar roads at night from the pothole.

6. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

My scariest animal story happened in the late 60's in my Triumph TR-3. I was heading down this side road which bordered a golf course. I had travelled this road millions of times. At one point, there was a small bridge that elevated the roadway just enough so that you couldn't see the road bed on the other side. As I crested that small bridge at about 75 or 80 there, in front of me was what appeared , at first, to be the worlds' racoon population. I mean there had to be at least 30 of them. Now if you recall, those TR-3's weren't exactl;y known for their ground clearance. I hit those buggers, and it was like watching a pro bowlers event! Racoons flying everywhere! The Triumph came through without a scratch.....Lot's of racoon fur, but not a scratch!
  7. WHM1

WHM1 Junior Member

I was thinking about one of those college racoon coats I used to see in the movies from the 30's
  8. ok yall ever heard of june bugs? well theyre ever where down south in the summer,, its a flyin beetle bout the size of a dme/nickel with a ver hard outer shell................ you wanna talk bout somethang that'll :::: bout take yer head off at 100 mph-- those june bugs pack a lotta wallop. i usually score bout 4-5 bee/hornet stings each summer-- that gets real exciting as well.
  9. Sheepdogmarine

Sheepdogmarine Active Member

You guys are making me feel better about always wearing my fullface helmet now.:D

I was riding in Ft Hood Texas with a friend once. We were supposed to always wear our helmets being in the military. I had a Yamaha Seca 750 and he had an older FLH. He stopped and took his helmet off once off post and laughed at me for being a "sissy." About 5 miles later, he was infront and almost wrecked right in front of me. We pulled over and he had been hit by what must have been a bird. His face was bleeding and eye was swollen up. He was okay and we rode on for a bit, but we headed home sooner than we had planned.

I do believe it should be a choice. People can smoke if they want so why should you have to wear a helmet. I just choose to wear mine.

Ride Safe!
  10. Rewind

Rewind Active Member

For as many deer as we have in Ms I'm lucky I haven't hit one. But I have hit, a rabbit (30mph), squirel (50 mph) and came close to a skunk one time..........glad it was just a close call on that one.