free website stats program So, what do you do ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

So, what do you do ??

scrinch

I am torn between putting the bike up for the winter and just riding her some more. The colder temps aren't the problem... it is the road salt and sand combo they use here in Maine. The roads are dry now but it has snowed and there is residual salt and sand on the road .

The bike is way too pretty to let it get nasty and rusty , and is starting to have some rust on chrome and painted parts just from age, but then there is the GREAT desire to ride...

I Never winterize, as NJ has flip flop winters, but as soon as that salt hits the road, i park it till it rinses away some. rode my 03 RKC in the salt once, washed it very well when i got back, it trashed the aluminum on that bike, and theres alot of it

I am torn between putting the bike up for the winter and just riding her some more. The colder temps aren't the problem... it is the road salt and sand combo they use here in Maine. The roads are dry now but it has snowed and there is residual salt and sand on the road .

The bike is way too pretty to let it get nasty and rusty , and is starting to have some rust on chrome and painted parts just from age, but then there is the GREAT desire to ride...

Yesterday was a great day here in Maine but the roads are still white from salt from the Thursday night snow. I opted to leave the bike parked. A difficult decision I know...

my old sporty has seen some salty riding lol and it shows. when they start slingin it my rkc is staying home ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

I put mine away when the first salt/sand hits the road. Then I wait until a couple of spring rains. I made the mistake of riding one spring before the rains. What a mess to get all that road salt off the bike!

I think that's what metric bikes are for no? Aren't they made of plastic and stuff? Make a little more room in the garage and get yourself a winter beater.

Just a thought. :devil

Road salt and my chrome don't mix :D. A good rain after the salt is down and it's another story completely.

No salt ever put on the roads here on the Central Coast of California. However, I can say that I would never ever allow my Goldwing or my HD to come into contact with road salt. So, my answer would be to put the bike away for the season when there is any risk of road salt.

Thanks for the advice gents...I was leaning that way, ....but it was such a nice day I started to waver.

I did my oil and drove the scoot into the to Toy Hauler for the winter. I am working on a Honda CCB750 winter rat bike but it is still in pieces all over the garage.

Back