free website stats program So that's the problem! | Harley Davidson Forums

So that's the problem!

Ken S.

My '96 883 hugger had a tach speedo combo. The speedo went out and I got the replacement speedo which was a plug and go. My speedo was hard wired.

So, I figure I'll just go with the new speedo and bracket and forget about putting the tach back on.

I rewired the new speedo per service manual into the new deutsch connector and tried to plug it in, and it wouldn't go. If I held it in tight by hand and turned on the ignition all functions worked, but the deutsch connector wouldn't lock, nor would the pins from the speedo stay in the holders in the male end. I looked at the female pins on the old speedo and they are BIGGER. :(

So, I should have done what I had planned to do fron the git go, cut and splice. At least I'll have a tach again.

If you have plans to replace your speedo, and you have an older bike, the newer electronic speedos will work but it appears you'll have to splice the wires, or splice on the old bigger female receptors from the old speedo to make the 12 pin deutsch connector work.

signed,
Starting over.

Yep, now at least I know. I can finsih the job, right.

Ken, welcome to the school of hard knocks...guys in the know won't tell you out front that they began just as you did. This becomes part of your "personal" troubleshooting arsenal...adding these steps you learned...I know it is easy for me to list after the fact...it is for you to make book of what went right and what went wrong while helping others with your post, which I thank you.

1) Before discarding old parts, inspect new verses old for form, fit & function (would have discovered compatibility problem up front).

2) If possible using EZ hooks or alligator jumper clips, temporarily wire new part in, (use electrical tape to insulate exposed metallic ends to prevent accidental shorts/sparks) checking all functions of new part to make sure it is working (i.e. using the ol' school breadboard check).

3) In this case hard wiring was your pick and that is okay; but for a more "sano" installation though a longer repair lead time; order the crimping/pin removal tool, along with spare pins/recepticles to maintain the OEM look. Besides, things break, especially delicate wires and crimps. HD does sell them though you can deal direct with the OEM supplier and probably obtain electrical parts from Newark, Mouser, Allied, and others. :)

Last edited:
Back