free website stats program So...new bike to me and a problem that ...... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

So...new bike to me and a problem that ......

Jeff is right. Those belts on bike with a stock or mildly modified motor will run for longer than most will own the motorcycle. That being said, if there is no obvious reason for the failure, it could have been a defective belt. BTW, is the OEM belt? Please replace it with an OEM belt, don't substitute.

On ALL my belt drive Harleys, starting in 1992, I put at least 50K on these bikes and with yearly adjustments and inspections had NO problems, I keep my bikes about 4 years then trade them up. A good friend in MN had a Heritage he picked a rock out of the belt and rode it for at least 2 more years, The older wider belts were a bit tougher IMO, but like a timing belt on a car there are few reasons they will not go 80-100K

Here is pics of the belt.....You decide..

Attachments

• belt.jpg
    belt.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 21
  • belt1.jpg
    belt1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 21
  • belt4.jpg
    belt4.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 21
The belt looks to be ripped apart, the picture with the complete belts looks like it has some small pits from small rocks and also the edge at the left side of the pic looks frayed.
Your avitar looks familure to 1 for a part supplier but mirrored.

The only belts I have seen break apart was in Sturgis when guy was doing burn out on some oil than hit dry pavement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I have seen timing belts break like that but not a Harley belt with out some existing damage

The belt looks to be ripped apart, the picture with the complete belts looks like it has some small pits from small rocks and also the edge at the left side of the pic looks frayed.
Your avitar looks familure to 1 for a part supplier but mirrored.

The only belts I have seen break apart was in Sturgis when guy was doing burn out on some oil than hit dry pavement.
The belt is just dirty from riding on a dirt side road , there were not much of any damage to the belt. Look at the teeth as they are all in great shape... The guy that picked me up said that it look as tho it was just a brittle belt from sitting and its in good shape other then that.. the snap was clean... I have the new belt but havent got the gaskets yet...

The belt is just dirty from riding on a dirt side road , there were not much of any damage to the belt. Look at the teeth as they are all in great shape... The guy that picked me up said that it look as tho it was just a brittle belt from sitting and its in good shape other then that.. the snap was clean... I have the new belt but havent got the gaskets yet...

I would tend to agree with that guy and add that the belt (1) may not have been adjusted properly and/or (2) a weak spot out of the box or perhaps a combination of all three.

I would tend to agree with that guy and add that the belt (1) may not have been adjusted properly and/or (2) a weak spot out of the box or perhaps a combination of all three.
Just had gotten the bike checked with the gauge for tightness and all looked good. I had just got the bike 1 month ago or so and changed all the fluids in it... put a gear drive set of cams in it... while doing that had looked at it one end to the other...all was in great shape. As far as I can tell its a fluke break. I could be wrong and the previous owner may have been harder on it then he let on... but again from outward inspection of the belt now shows no chunks dings welts and the only problem is a bit of a rub on the sides... if that caused it I hope that the new belt doesn't have that problem.

but again from outward inspection of the belt now shows no chunks dings welts and the only problem is a bit of a rub on the sides... if that caused it I hope that the new belt doesn't have that problem.

There will always be rub on the side, mainly on the inside of the belt; not a worry.

Back