free website stats program Smoked Pork Butt | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Smoked Pork Butt

Smoke'n pork butts ? What kind of paper's do you use and how do you light it :newsmile100: You boy's down south would love moose meat nut'n better:s

I dabble a little with a cheap water smoker. I have been looking at the Traeger for over 2 years, and even have a piece of literature sitting here on my desk right now. I just cant put out the $$$ right now for it. Sounds like you like yours.
A couple of weeks ago I did some apple smoked pork chops, butter fly cut about 1 1/2" thick that were awesome.

I truly do love the Traeger. My wife worked at a retail outlet that sold them and we got 50% off, otherwise I might not have one yet either. Too good a deal to pass up.

Anything you normally cook in the oven can be cooked on a Traeger. Just turn the heat up and go for it. We use it more often than we do the oven. It's nice in the summer, doesnt heat the house up. With the convection aspect of the traeger it's a wonderful machine. You should try pizza cooked in a Traeger...very good.

Pull the trigger, it's like buying a Harley...why try the rest when you can have the best...

wood gas electric all good after halft the time cooking u can put it in the oven on the low temp the flavor is there . dont have to baby sit the smoker if using charcoil , just time in the oven

Man, I read the title and had me going for a second..."--mine never smoked it's tiny butt...maybe I have to throttle up a bit more...!" :newsmile100: Oh yeah BBQ Pork means a lot of different things...in the deep south it is pulled and has more vineger content in the dipping sauce...in the midwest more classic sweet and spicy sauces w/ more worschester and tomato...and way out west sweeter still with honey glazes, syrup, even teriyaki. But it is ALL welcome in my house to be sure! :bigsmiley17:

Last edited:
wood gas electric all good after halft the time cooking u can put it in the oven on the low temp the flavor is there . dont have to baby sit the smoker if using charcoil , just time in the oven

Very true Wayne. They can be finished off in the oven with basically the same result. No more smoke flavor is added after the first few hours anyway. Bu ti like the heavy dark colored bark that accumulates with the drying effect it gets by staying in the smoker.

Man...I'm getting hungry again

I use my smoker all the time. mostly butts and brisket is really good. i just rub em and loosely wrap them in foil. i put a little bit of vinegar in the foil. it helps to tenderize. then lose the foil for the last few hours and more smoke. love the smoky burnt ends. i also do ribs and turkeys. sometimes we throw steaks on when were standing around drinking beer. they never make it into the house though, we stand around carving pieces of as they get done. smoker is the ultimate slow cooker.

Saturday I smoked a turkey. I usually just buy the breast and smoke it low and slow for a couple hours then crank up the heat for a couple more. We like to carve it up for sandwiches or just to snack on.

I agree, a smoker is every mans favorite appliance. Cook in the house...never, cook outside...always.

with beer

Let me tell you another awesome meat I smoke. I get fresh Tuna when we go to the coast and smoke it. I brine it then smoke it with Alder. WOW, thats gotta be a favorite of mine. I vacuum seal it and freeze it.

I can share my recipe if anyone's interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me tell you another awesome meat I smoke. I get fresh Tuna when we go to the coast and smoke it. I brine it then smoke it with Alder. WOW, thats gotta be a favorite of mine. I vacuum seal it and freeze it.

I can share my recipe if anyone's interested.

I never had smoked tuna, sounds good
had trout, and that was good

Back