free website stats program Smoked Pork Butt | Harley Davidson Forums

Smoked Pork Butt

doc_63

My latest hobby is smoking delicious meats on my Traeger pellet burning convection smoker. This thing rocks.

Barbeque Grills & Smokers - Traeger Pellet Grills

Last Friday night at 11:30 I put on 2 pork butts (shoulder butts). I smoked them at about 225 for 13 hours. WOW...fall apart tender and moist and delicious. Awesome pulled pork sandwiches. Paula made an excellent slaw that we put on the sandwich along with a drizzle (just a drizzle now) of BBQ sauce.

Any other smokers out there?

PORK FAT RULES...

Because if you put " slaw" on any kind of BBQ in Texas , there would be people running around yelling get a rope.. that is just not done here in Texas. We don't even BBQ pork unless it's a ham, or a wild hog.. but I like pork butts on the smoker too. Lots of good eating there..also NO and I repeat NO mustard base BBQ sauce......

I hear ya, nothing like smoked pulled pork I do alot of butts but like young wild hogs the best

BBQ is a lot like motorcycles. Everyone has their favorite, and defends it. Many even differentiate how it's spelled or said. "Q", "BBQ", "Barbeque" etc. I grew up in Florida, where it's all accepted. Bring it on!!:newsmile016:

Because if you put " slaw" on any kind of BBQ in Texas , there would be people running around yelling get a rope.. that is just not done here in Texas. We don't even BBQ pork unless it's a ham, or a wild hog.. but I like pork butts on the smoker too. Lots of good eating there..also NO and I repeat NO mustard base BBQ sauce......

This was the first time we tried the Slaw on the sandwich. Tell them Texans they're missin out on some good eatin'.

I agree, no mustard based sauce...in fact I think the sauce takes away from the flavor of the meat. Why bother with all the nice rubs if you're going to swim the pork in bbq sauce. Just a drizzle...

BBQ is a lot like motorcycles. Everyone has their favorite, and defends it. Many even differentiate how it's spelled or said. "Q", "BBQ", "Barbeque" etc. I grew up in Florida, where it's all accepted. Bring it on!!:newsmile016:

Well I'm out here in Oregon where there's never been anything original developed...lol

I just take bits and pieces from what I read and see on TV and go from there. Some of the true BBQ experts would string me up for using a thermostatically controlled pellet fed electric smoker. But I'll tell you what....MMMM ,MMMM good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dabble a little with a cheap water smoker. I have been looking at the Traeger for over 2 years, and even have a piece of literature sitting here on my desk right now. I just cant put out the $$$ right now for it. Sounds like you like yours.
A couple of weeks ago I did some apple smoked pork chops, butter fly cut about 1 1/2" thick that were awesome.

Great timing... got a couple of boston butts sittin in the fridge ready to go in the smoker tonight :)

Back