smoke out of right side exhaust after oil chg

Discussion in 'Other Service and Maintenance' started by dvndogbagger, Aug 26, 2010.

1. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

Changed the oil and after starting when cold now I get some smoke when cold any ideas

2. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

A little more info would be handy:
    age of bike,miles etc. the symptoms you describe is usually valve guides or seals on older bikes.

3. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

89 flhtcu evo first oil change for me and may have over filled the resevoir a whisker should i let some out?

4. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

Took oil level down a smidge and fired up cold this morning, no smoke. Why having the oil tank a whisker over filled would this happen? Wouldn't go out an overflow and or just stay in circulation.

And is that oil just burning off that was why it was smoking? I am not sure but things were fine this morning rode 45 miles to work in 53 degree beautiful day!

Also the guy who had this before me had 2 oil resevoir dipsticks 1 short and 1 a little longer, does anyone know whcich 1 is right. Like I posted earlier I am still awaiting the owners manual from Harley.

5. hogrotten

hogrotten Junior Member

Glad you got it sorted out, the best resolutions are the ones that don't take $$$.