free website stats program Smelly problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Smelly problems

Woodsman

Well, I ran over a skunk about an hour ago. Now how do you get the smell off! I learned running over a squirrel and almost dumping by bike by trying to miss it. I hit it straight on doing about 45. Any suggestions?

Glad to hear that you are OK. I heard that tomato juice can wash away the skunk smell. Fortunately I have never had that problem. Good Luck!

My wife just came in and told me to go take a shower, I didn't even notice the smell. Then my son come over and asked "What smells in here?" Worse problem than I thought.

I'm still trying to figure out what a skunk was doing running around at 1:30 in the afternoon. They usually only are out at night.

I'm not sure how well it works on bikes but this sort of worked on the dog when he had a run in with a skunk:

The Skunk Remedy Recipe

In a plastic bucket, mix well the following ingredients:

1 quart of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide

1/4 cup of baking soda

1 to 2 teaspoons liquid soap

From what I've read, tomato juice doesn't work too well - I didn't try it though. I ended up going to the vet and getting something called Skunk Off. It did a better job than the recipe above.

A nice long ride in the rain might help :s

I'm still trying to figure out what a skunk was doing running around at 1:30 in the afternoon. They usually only are out at night.

You'd about have to watch it walk around for a bit to tell - if its walking ok it was probably just hungry - if it was weaving around - it was probably sick...

At 45mph you probably didn't have much time to observe it :s

Last edited by a moderator:
Vets have a spray that they use when an animal gets skunked. If all else fails give them a try.

I just watched a PBS-Nova special on Skunks 2 nights ago. They followed a PHD that has spent his life studying skunks. Descenting was covered, and the recipie in post #7 was what he recommended. Tomato juice not so effective.
They claim the big thing about scent retention is the spray is oil based, and the peroxide breaks it up.

Have not hit a skunk yet, but a buddy did and the tomato juice did take care of the smell. I agree about the racoons, down here in Fl they eat a purple berry and when you hit one it can take all afternoon and multiple beers to clean the berries and coon off the bike.

Back