free website stats program Smell of gas after riding. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Smell of gas after riding.

Any solution?
I started getting the gas smell at about 4500mi. I'm at 7500mi now and haven't noticed it as much lately, but it does still do it.

(Been lurking for a while. Great forum. Great tips and info.)

One other cause if no leaking is seen (or smelled) externally at the draft hose area below the nearby swingarm pivot / rear wheel, or gas cap is inspect fuel lines and verify you have the RevB or higher fuel pump/filter version. Have your VIN # in hand if '08 (should have been on all '09) but check to be sure. There was a thread regarding a Service Note dealing with cracked plastic housing near the fittings, see Maintenance section...(yeah I know it is for '08 models, but any nylon plastic w/ upwards of 30 PSI fuel injection pressurized system can be hazardous if stressed by vibration, abrasion or fatigue). :newsmile031:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/diagnosti...d/5459-08_bike_fuel_pump_filter_problems.html

Last edited:
I don't know if the same applies to the dresser bikes but on my superglide custom I have discovered a fuel leak on top of my tank that when the bike is full, runs out from under the left rear corner of my gauge console and down the side of my tank. I'm thinking that my top plate gasket is leaking or my vent hose/fitting is leaking where it comes through the top plate. I have to go get me an allen wrench to remove the console so I can check it out. It's still under warranty so I guess I could bring it in, but that could get expensive because while they're taking an hour to tighten up a loose screw under the console, I would have nothing better to do than browse the showroom and all the chrome goodies.

I'll echo what Glider has already said. I have been smelling gasoline fumes coming from my 09 as well. It is much more prominent during the hot months when the motor acts like a radiator under the gas tank. There are a tiny amount of fumes which come out into the open atmosphere. I have never considered it anything to worry about. A few minutes later when the motor cools off, there is no odor. Just one of the idiosyncrasies about owning a Harley. And yes, there are others too, all of which we can learn to live with.

Well, I took the bike in and should've known better. Wound up leaving it there and driving home with a very lightly used and highly pampered, polished and chromed 2007 Ultra Classic. Black with silver pinstripes and every bell & whistle that I think Harley makes. Voila! No more gas fumes!

Well, I took the bike in and should've known better. Wound up leaving it there and driving home with a very lightly used and highly pampered, polished and chromed 2007 Ultra Classic. Black with silver pinstripes and every bell & whistle that I think Harley makes. Voila! No more gas fumes!

Gotta watch out walking through the HD dealers doors...and leaving with a new bike! LOL :coffee

Hey Glider, this is starting to happen a lot...! We don't have a mistaken thread somewhere in our Maintenance section do we? :D

I don't have a bagger, but where is the vent hose where the vapors escape, is it in a bundle of hoses underneath say "below the swingarm pivot" or the like? Thanks! :)

I wife found the smell....when I dutch ovened her!!!
11:26::26::26:

Seriously, I noticed the smell myself and was told the same thing by the dealer.

Back