free website stats program Smell of gas after riding. | Harley Davidson Forums

Smell of gas after riding.

Rubbit

A friend of mine with an 09 Road King said that when he gets done riding, he smells raw gas but no drops under bike or no obvious leaks. Does not matter if the tank is full or not, and no rhyme or reason to when it does it. Anybody else having this problem. 09 RG on the way and kind of wondering if HD has fixed the problem.

A couple of reasons why he may be smelling fuel, when the bike is shut off and the engine is hot, it acts like a radiator under the fuel tank and the fuel expands a bit causing vapors to escape through the vent system. As long as there are no visible leaks he should be OK but let the dealer check it out in any event.
He's not the first to smell this either.

As Glider says its the vent .. i was able to track it down on mine

I don't have a bagger, but where is the vent hose where the vapors escape, is it in a bundle of hoses underneath say "below the swingarm pivot" or the like? Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I don't have a bagger, but where is the vent hose where the vapors excape, is it in a bundle of hoses underneath say "below the swingarm pivot" or the like? Thanks! :)

Varies by machine i would guess.. mine runs down under the seat towards front of swingarm

the way i understand it on the 09 baggers they changed the vent or vent diaphragm which is why the 09 sometimes have that problem. my buddies bike is not dripping gas, the vent cap works as a one way valve to let air in as the gas is used, and the lower vent to works as a overflow, if i understand it correctly.

I noticed the raw gas smell on my 09 Ultra a few times when I first got it a couple of months ago. No leaks that I could see and was told it was the vent. Could be but now that I have a few miles, 3K, on the Ultra, I don't smell the gas anymore. I am thinking everything is seated and well sealed now.

As Glider says its the vent .. i was able to track it down on mine

Any solution?
I started getting the gas smell at about 4500mi. I'm at 7500mi now and haven't noticed it as much lately, but it does still do it.

(Been lurking for a while. Great forum. Great tips and info.)

Back