free website stats program Smart Siren II Battery and Install | Harley Davidson Forums

Smart Siren II Battery and Install

JDPEagle

Thanks to all of the help on this board, my new alarm system, siren, and pager are up and working (almost) perfect!

Here is my question. When testing the siren/alarm in the event of a battery disconnect, I pulled the maxifuse without first disarming the bike (fob was more than 20 feet away from the bike). The siren sounded for about 1 second (maybe less) before everything went "dead." The pager didn't even report a tripped alarm.

I know that the instructions say to ride the bike for a minimum of 4 hours to charge the internal siren battery. Unfortunately, the weather around here has not cooperated with the instructions; however, I have had the bike hooked up to a battery tender for several days, and have ridden approximately 50 miles since the install (about 1.5-1.75 hours engine time).

Is this normal until I have put 4 consecutive hours on the new siren battery, or do I perhaps have a defective siren/battery unit?

What happens if you install maxi fuse, turn off ignition, alarm sets, move FOB 25 feet away, walk up to bike and stand it up off jiffy stand to force it into an alarm state. (warning, warning, alarm state.) Does it continue to sound for 30 seconds.

I am not positive but I believe the Siren battery only get charged when ignition is on.

What happens if you install maxi fuse, turn off ignition, alarm sets, move FOB 25 feet away, walk up to bike and stand it up off jiffy stand to force it into an alarm state. (warning, warning, alarm state.) Does it continue to sound for 30 seconds.

It does not. I completely tripped the bike into full alarm, pulled the maxifuse, and everything silenced.

I am not positive but I believe the Siren battery only get charged when ignition is on.

I have studied the schematic and this does not appear to be the case. The siren unit has a direct wired connection to ground and battery. I have hooked up the bike to a full battery charger (as opposed to a Battery Tender maintainer). We'll see if that makes any difference.

In case anyone was wondering, I went for a ride today and ran the bike for more than 4 hours. When I returned home, I removed the fob from range and pulled the maxifuse. Same result. The siren blared for less than a second and then fell to silence. I pulled the battery from the siren unit and hooked it up to a meter... 3.7 volts!!!

Replaced with another NiMH 9V battery from a local distributor. Siren works fine now, but here's hoping there isn't a problem with the charging circuit.

NOTE: The siren unit was packaged in 10/09, so it was not that old. The Hong Kong battery placed in the unit was obviously faulty.

Yes, that is strange a 10/09 battery is already shot. Like you said, hope it is not the charging circuit.

I have the same system on my bike and I like having it. I have to relocate the antenna on the pager because the range seems very poor.

May want to make sure that the replacement battery is NiMH type and not the older NiCAD types have much shorted battery life and have memory retention...so if they are non cycled fully, the charge to the lowest average charge and last only a year or two.

Back