Smart Security System

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by steelpix, Jan 25, 2014.

1. steelpix

steelpix Member

Late yesterday afternoon I couldn't resist going for a ride even though it was 26 degrees on my XL883C. Plus I'm trying to see how far I can go on the 4.5 gallon tank, although I'm not trying to run it dry. I rode for about an hour before filling up at the gas station.

My SSS bit me! Once I was done filling up, I couldn't start my HOG and it was getting dark and I was getting cold. My battery died in the SSS key chain. I've only had the bike about three weeks (2009 w/1100 miles).

It's a good thing I had read the manual a couple weeks before and experimented with putting in an override code I could remember. I put the code in and away I went. It's out to the batter store today!

HOGan :unsure

2. gusotto

gusotto Junior Member

Good idea to change the battery every year.
    Batteries are cheap.
    Cheap enough to carry an extra on the bike.
    That battery might be 3-4 years old if it hasn't been changed before.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

Cold can really take a toll on any battery for that matter.. Good thing you remembered the code..

4. ImaRider

ImaRider Active Member

I replace mine every Spring just to be sure they won't fail me. Like previously said they are cheap enough and cheaper than a tow truck.