free website stats program Small scratches in gas tank. | Harley Davidson Forums

Small scratches in gas tank.

nt6977

Ok here goes. I get to show how stupid I am. Pumped gas in the tank and over filled it. Have small scratches in paint on left side of tank where I used a paper towel to wipe off over fill of gas. Question is…what is the best way to rub out very small scratches? Boy do I fill dumb. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 013.jpg
    Rob's Around the States Trip 3-20-09 013.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
I use 3M scratch remover it works well , I also have a 6" buffer that I use . If you use the buffer make sure to remove the tank console so you do not scratch the chrome .

It all depends on how deep the scratches are.Clearcoat on a Harley is pretty thick.Most scratches/swirl marks are caused by simply washing it.A dirty buckett, too course a wash mitt etc..Black is the worste for showing defects as we all know.While Pledge or a polish may hide some scratches it is not going to remove them.To remove them you need to buff.

In my shop we wetsand vehicles with 2000 wet paper to remove imperfections in the clearcoat.We then use a rubbing compound with the correct pad and machine buff to remove the 2000 scratches.The compound leaves a much finer scratch so we need to machine polish to remove the compound scratches.With most colors you would be done at this point but not black.With black you would then machine glaze until the naked eye could no longer see the polish swirls.

Keep in mind buffing products are designed to be used with a machine and a specific pad.They are also designed to be stepped in succesion with other products also utilizing specific pads on a machine.Personaly, I preffer the Presta line of buffing material.

You dont need to remove your console, a simple piece of tape will protect it from the wheel.You may be better off stopping by a local bodyshop to see if they will help you.A couple of light scratches can be removed by an accomplished detailer in minutes and save you the expense of trial and error products that may do you more harm than good.

Last edited:
Whatyardwork ,this gentleman knows his stuff! Myself having been in the detail business (hobby) for years, that's why i purchase all my waxes & rubbing compound from the detailer distributer. They work the best for these kinds of circumstances. These products are MADE OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIAL & are not sold in your local auto parts stores .

Last edited:
Sounds like you've been given some solid solutions. You might also try discussing the scratch with your local hd dealer if you are reluctant to do it yourself. I had small scratch and the local dealer gave me the name of the paint shop that did some of their minor scratch repairs. The guy did a great job for $20 bucks.

I remove the console when I buff my gas tank , you have to remove the seat & that is only 2 screws 1 for the seat & 1 for the strap , then remove the allen screw in the front of the console & a bolt in the back of the console & take off the gas cap & the console is removed , it only takes about 5 min to remove the console & do not forget to replace the gas cap while you work on the tank . It just makes it easier for me to run the buffer IMO & I can buff the tank better & I can buff the rear fender also .

Back