Slips ons or new head pipe for '10 FLH?

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by COFLH, Jun 29, 2010.

1. COFLH

COFLH Member

Just got a new '10 FLHTK. Want to open her up and let her breath. Figured out I need ac, fuel manager and some kind of exhaust configuration. Question is, are slip ons good enough, or should I spend the extra $400+ to replace the head pipe with a new one without the cat?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

The cat will restrict the performance gains but you can find a pipe from a previous year without the cat for a lot less then $400

3. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

However you do it, get rid of the CAT, your bike will love you for it. :s

4. COFLH

COFLH Member

Isn't it important to keep the current confiuration (2-1-2 with cross under)?

5. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

That's one option (look for 09 header on CragisList or eBay), or just go w/the entire system (V&H MO's/2-2, D&D Fatcat/2-1). Price them out & decide which will fit the budget, but definitely need to lose the CAT...Good Luck!

6. xdanman

xdanman Member

I picked up some 09 headpipes without

:p cats the other day on ebay for $35.

7. bonsi57

bonsi57 Active Member

Someone told me the 09 head pipes would not work with the 10 model due to a difference where it attaches to the motor. Is this false information? I had priced out V & H Power Duals and Monster Ovals. That will have to wait for a long time!

8. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

bonsi57: I guess I can't say for sure, but that is the first time I have heard that. As far as I know, they are interchangeable. I guess I would check with a indy to find out for sure unless you have a decent HD shop nearby. It would be nice to know.

9. bonsi57

bonsi57 Active Member

I will stop in the local H-D dealer and ask one of the mechanics. They will give me the straight scoop without trying to sell me something. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. COFLH

COFLH Member

I for one would appreciate hearing what they tell you!