free website stats program Slipping Ape Hangers - Help! | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slipping Ape Hangers - Help!

several good suggestions here, I have had good luckwith using small thin strps of metal (1/4 wide strips from beer cans work well) or the locktite also works well. I prefer the green loctite for handle bars. But be careful not to be tempted to use the left over for anything that is not permanent, this stuff is EEEEvil, you can get away with it for a handle bar appliction though because when you unbolt the clamps for service or replacement there is plenty of leverage to break the loctite bond, wheresa if you use it on bolt threads you most likely wont get them out without damaging something

If you have the one-piece top clamp you could file or sand the clamp to riser area to make the actual clamp diameter slightly smaller. You could try using a dremel to actually cut some lines into the surfaces that contact the bars at the knurling, and add the green loctite as insurance

read that could be solved by drilling and inserting a pin in bars.
Then drill a hole in the clamp or riser, that the exposed portion of the pin
is placed in. This locks the bar in place and prevents it from slipping.
Sorry dont have all the details on hand, but pretty simple to figure out.

i had to pin{counter sunk set screw} my apes in place. drill a small pilot hole in cap of stock riser, countersink carefully so you have a flush surface finish fit and use a hi-quality hardened screw which goes thru the riser cap an into the handlebar. works perfectly.

read that could be solved by drilling and inserting a pin in bars.
Then drill a hole in the clamp or riser, that the exposed portion of the pin
is placed in. This locks the bar in place and prevents it from slipping.
Sorry dont have all the details on hand, but pretty simple to figure out.
I was having the same problem.....this seems to be the best suggestion I have heard of. Just make sure the bars are where you want them because they will be (EDIT) to change later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back