free website stats program Slipping Ape Hangers - Help! | Harley Davidson Forums

Slipping Ape Hangers - Help!

pats1401

I have Wild 1(brand) Chubby Apes for my 01 Springer Softail Standard. I can't seem to get them tight so they won't slip. I've tried putting sandpaper inbetween the risers and bars, no luck. I've tried metalized tape, no luck. If anyone has any ideas or has the solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Scott

I have Wild 1(brand) Chubby Apes for my 01 Springer Softail Standard. I can't seem to get them tight so they won't slip. I've tried putting sandpaper inbetween the risers and bars, no luck. I've tried metalized tape, no luck. If anyone has any ideas or has the solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Scott

Welcome to The Forum, Are these bars the same diameter as the old bars, do they have knurled marks to bite into the risers?

Do you have the one piece top clamp as recommended or the stock two piece?

Do you have the one piece top clamp as recommended or the stock two piece?

And is it possible that the apes are so tall that combined with the way the Springer front end operates which is different than forks, your leverage is actually moving the bars in the clamps while holding on and may never get tight???????

I hope that you get this taken care of before this dangerous situation goes really bad......

I had the same problem on my springer. Try using Locktite Red on the knurl part of the handlebar and torque the forward bolts first then the rears using Blue Locktite.

Years ago on an old sporty I put apes on it and had the same problem. Turns out that the knurling on the bars although you could see it was not deep enough for the clamps to bite into. Since I had no way to re-knurl the bars I ended up using a thin piece of metal screen strip under the bar clamp to give it more grip. This is just an idea that worked for me and do not know if it will work in your case...but you never know. Good luck and please be safe.

I had a similar problem and didn't understand it until I snapped a bolt. The bolts were too long for the not stock handlebars.

Push come to shove you can always centerpunch the knurled areas of the bars all the way around in several places. This will cause raised dimples that can grip the clamp.

I would suggest lock-tight as well, but that can be messy, heres another thing to try: valve lapping compound. Spread on the bar and clamp areas, then tighten it down. The paste has abrasive in it and will give a good bite. works good for screws that are worn, just put on the screwdriver tip and it will grip the worn screw head. You can get it at Napa.

Back