free website stats program Slip-ons versus Full pipes | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip-ons versus Full pipes

I have cycle shack turn outs full system with no other mods or downloads done by The Stealer when my bike got wrecked last year and it is fine:s

I agree. When I just had the slip-ons and nothing else the bike ran fine although there was more pop on decel than with the stock mufflers. The point that I was addressing was this:

Originally Posted by DynaBob09
I am going to buy the Slip-Ons. Probally Khrome Werks. I was planning on getting an air cleaner, big sucker or along those lines. For the tuner, I was planning on getting the HARLEY-DAVIDSON SCREAMIN' EAGLE SUPER TUNER 32109-08B. I wanted that tuner so if I want to change cams, heads whatever down the line, I would have it. The dealer just told me that cannot be used for just Slip-ons. That tuner requires a complete exhaust change??

His dealer told him that the SEST can't be used with just slip-ons and it can.

That dealer is dead wrong. They have maps specificly in the program for use with slip-ons.
If you're performing a self installation on the SEST you will have to buy the software package and the cable kit. Mine, total with shipping and a 20% off list discount was $439 for the works. Once you load it on your computer it will prompt you to go online and download the latest maps from Harley. Then you pick the map that best suits the components that you're using on your bike and use that to flash the ECM. Then, you can use the Smart Tune feature to modify your selected map. You do this by plugging the VCI box into the data link on your bike and then strapping it down somewhere out of the way. Then you use it to record real time road info and then download that to your computer and the program will instruct you on what to modify. You can take it to a Dyno tuner and have a professional job done....but good tuners are hard to find.

Also, keep in mind that the VCI box mates to your ECM so you can only use it for one bike. The TTS has a model that's good for two bikes......but it costs more. If someone is trying to sell you one of these units used.........it won't work on your bike.......it only works on the bike it was originally mated to. Don't want to see anyone get cheated.

And I have the Khrome Werks slip ons and the Ness stage 1 Big Sucker and the SEST and my 07 Streetbob RUNS!
Great info thanks. There is a guy on ebay with 13 of these tuners brand new in the box for $265. including shipping. Just the tuner. No software or cable. I will go for it..

Rush Slip ons work great and if you want a nice easy increase in low-end to Mid-range, get a set of Thundermax headpipe torque baffels. The sound is throaty and NOT loud and the performance is excellent. If you do the SE Heavy Breather Breather then you will want a remap. I also installed the DJ Power Commander and sprung for a Dyno Tune @ HD Salt Lake City. That gave me 92 RW Ft lbs and as high as 57 Highway MPG to boot!

save your money i went with the vance and hines big shot two into one got the power gain and the original look they are also great for future upgrades i contacted stevenson cycle hes a award builder and answers any questions over the phone before spending money on upgrades always decide were you want the bike to be when your done with the upgrades so you can buy parts accordinly over time

Slip-ons are easy, convenient and probably satisfy 90% of your Stage I applications. While removing cats in later model bikes may improve the likelyhood of improvement. Probably counterproductive given the legal tightning going on...California just got law passed that law enforcement may pull over motorcycle that is greater than 85 dB or so noise level...lucky that they did not pass emissions part which would have mandated 2 year inspections.:(

Look here for extract from Self Help section for different exhaust buyers guide...slip-ons still are the best choice that are EPA stamped...:s

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_davidson_exhaust_related_issues/15483-exhaust_buyers_guide.html

the power commander 5 is also a great tuner easy to use and total kit cost is 349.00 and its not married to the bike comes with all the cables etc.on-line support is great

If you want great performance and throaty sound, try using the the Thunder Monster Baffles by Big City Thunder. Big gains in midrange and bottom End!

I have also added the SE Heavy Breather and Power Commander with a Dyno Tune for max effect.

Anybody had any experience with Long Ride Shields? I was interested in the X-Treme 8.5" screen they make for the batwing fairfings so I ordered on a few weeks ago and haven't gotten the product yet of any replies to calls and e-mails.

Are they out of business:small3d036:

Rush Slip ons with Big City Thunder Head-Pipe cones are very good.:small3d036:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 08 Fat Bob and just installed the 1.75 Rush slip ons. I installed it with the same clamps and no leaks. I noticed bike to be running a little lean and was told by my mechanic to buy the V&h fuelpak. Now the bike runs great and sounds much deeper than before the fuelpak install. Cant go wrong with the rush you can change baffle sizes and just change the value on your fuelpak with no expensive download from the dealer. Hope this helps and safe riding.

I have the Khrome Werks 3" slip-ons on my 07 Streetbob with a Ness stage 1 Big Sucker a/c and the SE Super Tuner. We installed the 2.5" Khrome Werks slip-ons on my son's 05 883 Sporty with a Ness stage 1 Big Sucker and a Dynojet jet kit. I can't say enough good things about these mufflers. Nice deep rumble at idle. Quiet enough not to upset your neighbors if you take it easy but folks will know you're there when you jump on it. The 2.5" ers make the 883 sound like a big twin.

Did you Dyno tune your street bob or just use the generic map on the SERT? What kind of performance increase did you notice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone tell me how the stock exhaust system on Fat Bobs has changed since the introduction of that model? I have been told that the cat converter is in the head pipes in later years and the only way to get rid of it is a full exhaust system change. Also, how advisable is changing the exhaust considering the law. I want to purchase a 2011 in white hot denim in the next few weeks. I could go with another Dyna or different year if the mods would be easier. I love the Fat Bob the most though.

Back