Slip ons not so easy to slip off

Discussion in 'Sportster Models' started by sportyb27, Jul 23, 2009.

1. sportyb27

sportyb27 New Member

Hello, I have a 2009 sportster 883 l and I'm trying to replace the stock pipes with cycle shacks, but I CAN'T get the stock pipes off! Please help!
    I've removed all hardware. I just cant get them to slide off?
    Any suggestions? I even tried a flat head and hammer, but didn't want to cause any damage. Don't seem to even budge, no matter what!
    Thanks

2. Crazyfrog

Crazyfrog Active Member

Try just a little bit of WD-40, and then use a twisting motion. If you can't get them to twist by hand, try a rubber wrap wrench to get them to budge.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

4. jloomis19

jloomis19 Active Member

I had the same problem with mine...I just bent the little tabs....at least its what they looked like back a little where it connected to the "header"....They bend right back if thats what you do, no harm done to them. I will get a pic and post tomorrow.

5. NYHarley

NYHarley Active Member

I also had to bend the tabs out a bit, and used the rubber wrench to twist back and fourth. Just be patient and don't wrench too hard if the header pipe is still connected.

6. Dozer

Dozer Account Removed

I've had that problem changing out Dresser mufflers before. If you have time you may try WD-40 or Blaster and let it sit all day or overnight. It's important that your pulling them in the exact direction that doesnt have them 'in a bind'. My salvation was two late teenage sons available who both work out a lot! Good luck!

7. milsco12

milsco12 Member

PB Blaster, you can get it at any auto store. Spray it let it sit overnight. Twist off the next morning.

8. p8nter

p8nter New Member

I just changed my out sunday the first 1 I beat the heck out oit and could not get it oof......the I got s pair of chanel lock plyer and placed them right behind the taps and twisted back and forth and it came rihgt off...good luck