free website stats program Slip-on oil filter cooler? | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip-on oil filter cooler?

HDSickness

Banned
Anyone use one or know if they work?
Saw it on EBay for $47.00 says it will reduce oil temp by 21*.
Just slips over oil filter and has cooling fins.

Anyone use one or know if they work?
Saw it on EBay for $47.00 says it will reduce oil temp by 21*.

Provide a link so we can see what your talking about. The one I find may not be the one your thinking about.

The oil filter in the location that it is will act as a wee bit of an oil cooler by fitting this device as a heat sink should enhance the heat transfer from the oil in the filter to the air
It should help a wee bit perhaps not as much as is claimed

Brian

yea I can't see a 21 degree drop. Not unless you are riding down the road, but sitting still in traffic, not even an oil cooler works in still conditions.
'

I wouldn't waste my money...there is thermal resistance between the heatsink/slipon and the oil filter case (which is painted and a thermally insulative)...so add 0.5*C of temperature RISE to the overall thermal resistance...would probably negate any advantage the small "bumpy cooling" surface the heatsink surface...JMHO!

I wouldn't buy it. I am not buying into the whole 21ºf thing. Maybe if it was at idle and falling from an airplane nose first! Save the money for gas or oil or something you need. JMHO.

I wouldn't waste my money...there is thermal resistance between the heatsink/slipon and the oil filter case (which is painted and a thermally insulative)...so add 0.5*C of temperature RISE to the overall thermal resistance...would probably negate any advantage the small "bumpy cooling" surface the heatsink surface...JMHO!
Smear the inside of the cooler with thermally conductive grease. I don't know how well the inner surface mates with the filter can surface, nor do I know how intimate the filter can is with the contained oil. 21* overall temp difference? Maybe in the filter can, but not in the system.

I definitely won't help when you need it, standing at a light. Even a good cooler won't help there. A bit more chrome is interesting. I would not expect it to help much. There really isn't much difference in surface area, if you calculate it. You need much deeper fins in any case.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Back