free website stats program Slip on muffler question? | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip on muffler question?

iamdent

I bought a practically new set of Rhinehart slip-ons a couple of months ago for $200, thought it was a good deal. The prob is the mufflers have a 2" id inlet and the exhaust on my 06 classic are stock 1 3/4". I'm thinking the Rhineharts are true dual slipons. I can buy or have built adapters to adapt down but after reading several post on slipons and back pressure for the rear cylinder it makes me wonder if this would be ok. I have a tuner on my bike but would it be possible to tune for this setup and would it be ok on the engine?

The 2" inlet slip ons come from the true dual header system. I wouldn't suggest using an step down adapter but you can get the true dual headers to complete the system.
The slip ons you have shouldn't present a problem as far as your tuner is concerned but the difference between the mufflers you have there and the stock mufflers is basically the left muffler on the stock system is used more for sound than flow but it does divert more exhaust to the right side of the system for better scavenging. Your new mufflers will flow through both equally, similar to the older HD systems but there may be a slight decrease in scavenging effect with the new mufflers installed.
Nothing drastic to be concerned with if you do decide to adapt them and use them.

I actually ran this set up on a 2000 for a short time, before I traded for the 06, I got a lot of decel popping from it. That was before I started reading this forum, the 2000 did not have an after market tuner on it, I really liked the sound other than the popping. Will the decrease in scavenging cause the popping?

Considering you have two basically open mufflers as compared to the stock ones that are restricted on the left side , the back pressure will be reduced and popping could result using the replacement mufflers over the stock ones.

Back