free website stats program Slip on muffler leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip on muffler leak

Crazyfrog

I just installed a set of Rush slip on mufflers with the 1.75 baffles. The left side muffler just will not go on as far as the right side, and sure enough, i have a leak. I have tried to reinstall it 3 times, and have put the clamp in every possible positon, ending up with the same result. It looks to be sitting back about 1/2" compared with the right side.

Has anyone experienced this, or have an ideal? I figured it was time to walk away for a bit, since I can't ride anyhow, plus I have to work afternoon.

Thanks for the help in advance, I know the knowledge here will get me through!!!!

Take a look in the inlet and see if there is any slag or something keeping it from going on the pipe all the way. You could always try it on the other side to see if it is the pipe or the muffler causing the problem. If it doesn't have the indent for the axle, you could install it on the other side if it fits there.

Sometimes it's a matter of taking the rear end of the muffler and cranking it in a circle while pushing it on enough to have the pipe cover the slits in the inlet of the muffler then clamping it there. The rush have caused this problem for others too.

Thanks Glider. I was thinking about the slag while at work, and sewapping from side to side. I'll report back after I find the issue.

i was at the dealers the other day and a guy just bought a set of rush slip ons and he was telling him that when he put them on to apply clear silicone when putting on pipes to seal any leaks.just thought i'd pass that on...

i was at the dealers the other day and a guy just bought a set of rush slip ons and he was telling him that when he put them on to apply clear silicone when putting on pipes to seal any leaks.just thought i'd pass that on...

gotta a ? --- won't the silicone "burn" off after heating up the pipes? not familar enough with putting slip-ons ,still have stock.

Hey R, Crazyfrog has probably been shoveling out from under all this global warming.......:lol We have about 15 inches of this rotten white stuff...........It wouldn't be so bad except it's been so windy that it's blown snow so bad that in one spot the snow might be 3 inches and next thing you know it's 2 feet.......we had one dog that we couldn't keep in, (she had to go play with the neighbors), and the other dog would stick his head out of the dog house and look, then crawl back in. He wouldn't hardly come out at all. :cry

Joy was right! I been diggin out of white death!!!

In between runnin the snow blower, I got called out to work twice! This is my first chance back on the puter, and havent even touched the bike yet! I'll get-r-done this week and let ya'll know!

Thanks!

Back