free website stats program Slip on help | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip on help

Maybe try reversing the mufflers? :newsmile030: :D
You cannot reverse them, there is a warning that comes with them that say's these mufflers are balanced for optimum performance and the one with the small opening must be installed on the left side. I am assuming that most of the exhaust is coming out the right side, so they are balanced correctly. Believe me, my first thought was to reverse them. When they say small opening, they mean you have to look inside the pipe and around the baffle area and there is a larger opening and a smaller. This is "internal" thing has nothing to do with the what I am dealing with trying to fit the pipe on.

This is the link to the site.

Jackpot mufflers homepage

Last edited by a moderator:
It makes sense then that you can't reverse the mufflers. That means they are built to enhance the flow out the right muffler for best scavenging similar th the way the stock mufflers are made.

These mufflers can't be used on a true dual system then.

So, if replacing the clamp does not work, I have a few questions:

On the muffler that is loose:
I am assuming there there are some "cuts" in at least 2 places on the muffler where is slides on the pipe. The "cuts" I am questioning are to allow the muffler flange to squeeze together to make a snug fit on the exhaust pipe. Are these "cuts" touching edges or is there space between them?

Does the space look the same as the muffler that fits well?
My thinking is that if replacing the clamp does not work, then perhaps you have a poorly manufactured muffler that may need to go back, or you could make the cuts a little wider yourself so there is room to compress the muffler.

I had problems removing my left side stock muffler when I first installed my slip ons. The exhause pipe was actually flared slightly wider at the end. My thinking was that when it was installed at the factory it was a real snug fit, or they had to pry open the muffle a bit to get it on. Then they really tightened the torca clamp...but not right at the end of the exhaust pipe. So I had a compressed muffler flange and a slightly expanded exhaust pipe. Really took a beating to get it off.

The use of high temp silicone would concern me if it makes the muffler difficult to remove later. I use a small dab of anti-seize on the fittings to make it easy to remove the muffller for servicing and tire replacement. I don't put tires on the rims myself, but I don't want some tech really putting stress on the exhaust system trying to remove a stubborn muffler to get at the tire/axel.

It had me thinking because these pipes are meant for each side. The smaller opening goes on the left and the larger opening on the right.. But go figure the left is loose and the right was to tight, I had to pry the opening open to get the pipe to go on.

Please don't take offense, are you referring to right and left side as follows:
Right side = Throttle side
Left side = Clutch side

Left side = Clutch side

R&L is generally judged sitting on the bike.

Of course that changes if you are sitting backwards too :lolrolling

Left side = Clutch side
Yes gearside is the left

Called the manufacture and his answer is to use a tool called a pipe expander. I never heard of one, but this will expand the pipe for a snug fit. He said that over time the pipe can shrink or expand and needs to be expanded for the pipe to fit. Sounds logical to me, but now I have to find the tool. I may have a lead on one, but have to wait till the evening. If not I am going to have to order one and miss another 3-4 days beautiful weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand something--there are 2 bolts holding the mufflers to the rails under the bags--so even without any clamps at all, how could the mufflers come off?

I don't understand something--there are 2 bolts holding the mufflers to the rails under the bags--so even without any clamps at all, how could the mufflers come off?

Those two bolts at the rear of the muffler have elongated slots in the cushion and can move a few inches within itself.

You know something? Today were were riding and as we sat chatting during a break I kneeled down just to check my Rineharts and be sure they arent moving. LOW AND BEHOLD...the left side muffler had slid back about a full inch. As Glider stated above, although they are bolted on in the rear they are able to slide forward or backward some. Im glad they are built this way because I thing my brand new Rinehart may have taken a tumble. Paula wouldn't have enjoyed that much as she was following me. Anyway, I turned for home which was just a few miles and changed clothes and headed for the dealership. I got two new clamps and just got them installed. They seem to have clamped down snugger than the old ones. I'm testing it out tomorrow and hope that I have solved the problem.:25:

Problem solved.:bigsmiley14:

May I suggest new clamps when changing mufflers. The're cheap and work well the first time around.

Why chance it?

Back