free website stats program Slip on help | Harley Davidson Forums

Slip on help

Irish Hog

Hey guys,
I have my own ideas, but wanted to get a few other ideas from the minds at HD talking. I just installed my two Jackpot slip on's from Fuel Moto and I am having a problem with the left pipe slipping off when I start the engine. I have the flange bolt tightened as far as it can go, but I guess it needs to be shimmed. Any ideas to go about this? My first thought was to take the pipe off and maybe tap on the end of the pipe with a rubber mallet and a microfiber cloth to make the opening a little smaller for a snugger fit. But the flange is still going to be loose? Should I just get a new flange bolt and still make the pipe a little snugger, or just shim the ring? I hope this is legible and I am wording this correctly. This has not been as easy as I hoped. I guess I did a stage 1, I installed the Ness big sucker, I also installed a PCIII and the slip on's. So far everything has been smooth as silk until I started the bike and the left slip on blew off. LOL :small3d015:

Are you using the stock torca clamps or the ones that come with the muffler?

The clamp has to be at the leading edge of the muffler to get the proper torquing action.

replace the clamp
I think this is the right answer
Are you using the stock torca clamps or the ones that come with the muffler?

The clamp has to be at the leading edge of the muffler to get the proper torquing action.
I did not know the name, but I guess it is called a torca clamp. I have it on the leading edge, but it is just not getting tight enough. It just goes to a point and that is as far as it will go. I was curious if I could shim it somehow, but with what??

If you reuse the clamp more than once or twice, they don't tighten down like they should to apply the clamping force needed. You have to figure out if there is clearance between the pipe and muffler or if it is just the clamp not tightening enough to clamp it tight. I have also had a muffler or two that were made wrong and the inlet was a bit larger than it should be.

I think this is the right answer
I did not know the name, but I guess it is called a torca clamp. I have it on the leading edge, but it is just not getting tight enough. It just goes to a point and that is as far as it will go. I was curious if I could shim it somehow, but with what??

You could try a muffler shop for an adapter piece to slide inside the pipe for a tighter fit, but you may suck a bit of air if it is not tight fitting, or try a bead of ultra copper or very high temp silicone like the MOCO used on the Evo mufflers with a new clamp:s

If you reuse the clamp more than once or twice, they don't tighten down like they should to apply the clamping force needed. You have to figure out if there is clearance between the pipe and muffler or if it is just the clamp not tightening enough to clamp it tight. I have also had a muffler or two that were made wrong and the inlet was a bit larger than it should be.
It had me thinking because these pipes are meant for each side. The smaller opening goes on the left and the larger opening on the right.. But go figure the left is loose and the right was to tight, I had to pry the opening open to get the pipe to go on.

Replacing the clamp seems like the logical thing to do first, after Glider's idea of reversing the mufflers.

Clamps are cheap.

Back