Slip on dis-coloration

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by ultra pearl, Apr 27, 2011.

1. ultra pearl

ultra pearl Member

I am asking another question for my buddy.
    He has an 08 ultra with V&H slip-ons, stage 1 air and remapped.
    His right slip-on is turning yellow right where the muffler mounts to the exhaust pipe.
    What would cause this? or is this normal?

2. geezer

geezer Senior Member Contributor

I think he has a small leak where the slip-on attaches to the header.

3. JBC2565

JBC2565 Junior Member

Easy way to check for a leak is get a heavy glove (welding etc.) and cover the slip-on (plug the exhaust). Should build up pressure in pipe and find path of least resistance (ie. leak).

4. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member Contributor

Until you find the problem, if any, there is a product that will correct that yellowing. It is called Blue-Away, and will clean that discoloration right up. There is another product, called Simi-Chrome, which will maintain the chrome finish. I have used those 2 products for 36 years. They worked on my 73 Sporty's drag pipes, which had no heat shields. My Sporty's pipes stayed nice and silver for as long as I owned her. As long as you don't let the discoloration get too blue, you can get them back to clean chrome.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

6. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

If it's yellowing....he's running too hot/lean. I know you said it was re-mapped, but does the bike have a tuner? Needs more fuel...

7. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

I think it's time for your buddy to join! :D Just kidding, believe it or not, my brother doesn't have a computer/internet/or smart phone, so guess who gets to do all his net surfing. :D