free website stats program Slight gas smell to the crankcase oil? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slight gas smell to the crankcase oil?

A bit of gas may get past the rings how much is too much, I cant say, I bet if you pull the stick on your cage you will smell a bit of gas too JMO

in my diesels at work, a hundred HP up to 4 megawatt, i limit fuel in oil to 2%.

Effects of fuel have been mentioned above, thinning of oil is worrisome, a LOT..

The unlikely bigger one is crankcase explosion. A real risk at 5%.

If you want a good idea of what is going on, get a sample analyzed by a lab, Herguth or Insight. You want some decent miles on that oil. So that adds risk during use.

Pay a tad extra for fuel in oil determination.

The report will tell us what is likely going on.

It's probably not gonna be cheap to fix. It will absolutely be cheaper to fix it now than after damage occurs.

I know it is not an option, but you really need a sniffer to see how much unburned fuel is coming out the pipes. Take a look for any historical codes. O2 sensors that are pegged will be a dead give away.
Is your air filter clean? If you had a serious issue with the bike, I would think you would throw some o2 sensor codes or ignition codes.
It is really hard to say without knowing what the CO & HC values are.

Does the bike have rich exhaust tips? (black). Generally when an engine is really rich, you can smell it. How does the exhaust smell at idle. A new set of plugs never hurts either.

1) clean air filter
2) Codes
3) New plugs to help burn what is there.
4) exhaust tip color. A dealership download should not be black.

Excellent suggestions!!! I've cleaned the air filter (so we'll see what happens)..It was "doity". :) Installed new plugs...the rear cyclinder plug was a slight bit black and checked the exhaust tip color. They are a bit black too...Not bad for almost two years on 'em but nonetheless, I'll be redy for my 60,000 mile service when I get back from this trip (still on the VIP plan's dime...I LOVE THAT!!!) so I'll have 'em check for correct mapping, etc...

Thanks a ton!!!! I'll let you guys know what I find out. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions folks...I"ve got some good info to work with!!!!!! As long as the bike doesn't explode on this trip. ;) I appreciate everyon's input!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we are barking up an empty tree here. When I smell my used crankcase oil it always smells like used oil with just a hint of gasoline. It is an internal combustion engine that burns refined petroleum products for fuel and the same for lubrication.
I don't see a problem here.

Back