Slider cap fasteners

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by gator508, Sep 30, 2013.

1. gator508

gator508 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Here I am trying to get the front wheel off the bike and I don't seem to have the correct size of allen wrench to loosen the slider caps. I've got a bundle of allen wrenches but evidently not the correct one. Called the local HD and they seemed to be too busy, I do understand they are sales driven....anyway, Does anyone know what size allen fitting fits or where I can look it up.

I should have done this weeks ago but still had usable thread left on the tire, so I waited until almost the last minute, now I'm trying to get the bike ready for our trip...does it sounds like I'm begging..you bet. Thanks!

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

They are metric. I don't know what size.

3. gator508

Hey Breeze3at,

Got a callback last evening from HD..you are correct, they are metric 4mm, just my luck, now I have to go to Sears and get a set.

Thanks for the input.:D

4. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

If you are talking about those axle caps. If you get them off, be sure to use some anti-seize on the allen screws when reinstalling. They are no fun to drill out just to get the axle out!

5. gator508

Hey Bodeen,

Thanks for the tip, I will do that!

Just got the wheel off, on my way to HD to have new tire mounted. BTW, the allen fitting ended up being a 5mm not 4mm, which I will have to inform HD of that.

6. gator508

Update:

Just finished installing the front wheel, encountered 0 problems, did not take it out for a test ride yet...it's raining and may do that for several days, it looks like there is going to be a tropical system heading this way..oh well!