free website stats program Slick 50 | Harley Davidson Forums

Slick 50

Re: Engine Oil Poll

Use the 20/50, it's an air cooled motor not water cooled.

Mobil 1 V Twin or the redline or even the spectro oils is a better oil IMO than Amsoil anyway. No big loss there but PLEASE get the Harley oil out of the trans. It's engine oil (20/50) and shouldn't be in the trans. Each section has their own demands for oil and ONE oil DOES NOT fit all three.
so, multigrade synth oil 20w50 (no matter what brands) is okay for hd engine rite? just wanna make sure before i pour mobil 1 vt into my dyna. coz usually guys here just follow what the dealer tells them, mostly.

i meant all hd oil brand in 3 holes. i dont put engine oil into tranny of course...

i read somewhere, quite a few guys put amsoil into 3 holes...

i was thinking of using the shell helix 20w50 into my dad's rking, just to cut some maintenance cost a bit, rather than using hd stock oil.

ow yeah..also have this heat with my dad's 07 ultra. still under 1800kms, my regular service guy says it's normal, and it'd get cooler after some 4thou kms. is that so? would changing oil to synth help cure this heat? never felt that hot with other bikes i've got before...

thanks!

Re: Engine Oil Poll

SYN oil does not cure heat. It does however protect the engine from heat better.
As for SYN oils the top high quality syn oil are all great oils and any of them will server you well.
No madder what brand or type oil you decide on it should be oil designed for Vtwin air cooled engines. Auto oils do not have additives the Vtwins need.
EPA required markers of auto oils to remove or cut back some of these additives over the years.
As for same oil or lube in all 3 holes if you would not put gear lube in your engine why would you put engine oil in your transmission. we have many threads on this subject quick search will bring them up.
OIL, LUBE and filers is not a place to go cheap on your bike they are the bikes life blood.
That's my view your ride your decide

thanks smitty!

couldnt agree more w/ ya on 'same oil in 3holes' thing. i dont put the same type of oil in 3 holes, i meant the same brand which is hd.

so synth oils designed for air cooled engine are safe for hd. got it now.

I used Slick 50 in my Shovel's transmission; never had any transmission problems and I pretty much beat on it most of the time.

I believe slick 50 was outed as a scam. For instance the tv ads with the viper running on no oil was proven to be fraud, Hydraulic lifter car cant run with no oil.

Just stick with good quality motor oil, I perfer 100% synthetic due to its superior heat qualities.

Back