free website stats program Slapping steering | Harley Davidson Forums

Slapping steering

sarault

I just had trouble on the weekend with steering wheel slapping at 30mph when letting go the steering,the bike is OK at high speed.I took it to a bike shop and he said it was my tires because of running with too low air pressure.Any comments Your help would be appreciated. Removed Phone Number Paul. ASAP

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had trouble on the weekend with steering wheel slapping at 30mph when letting go the steering,the bike is OK at high speed.I took it to a bike shop and he said it was my tires because of running with too low air pressure.Any comments Your help would be appreciated. Removed Phone Number Paul. ASAP

Possible. But that is easy to check. Get the pressure right and carefully try it and see.

TQ

Last edited by a moderator:
What pressure are you running? What was the pressure when you had the problem? Under or over inflated tires will cause handling and wear problems.

Wish I could help but don't have a clue what a "steering wheel slapping at 30mph when letting go the steering". Someone please put this into words I can understand.

Hoople I think what he is saying is that when he lightens up his grip on the bars the front end starts to move (slap) back and forth. Under inflated tires will cause this as well as misaligned rear wheel and worn wheel bearings. Saying that it goes away at higher speeds only means that the gyro effect makes him not notice it.

What pressure are you running? What was the pressure when you had the problem? Under or over inflated tires will cause handling and wear problems.

Also things like a spoked wheel that is not centered.

Last edited:
Waiting for OP's response to air pressure...I'm guessing if the mechanic said it was low - did they top off?? Did the fix work?

Could be a number of things. Yes tire pressure being one but of course tire wear (are they "cupping", have the wheels been 'trued', neck or wheel bearing. Had issues with my crossbones, when ever I was slowing down around 30-35 mph had a bad wobble, after 3 new tires, trueing both front and rear wheels, wheel bearing in front, finally they did neck bearings.. thank God it all was "covered"

Back