free website stats program Sizing of Chaps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Sizing of Chaps

As most have commented, I'll only say that your chaps should be loose enough to get into your pockets and pants with thermals on. Also it should fit over thighs, calves/boot cut lowers, with snaps to prevent flapping and riding up.

My God, I've been riding 35 years and I still don't know why anyone would buy a pair of chaps! If you need protection gentlemen, buy a pair of leather pants. Chaps were made for cowboys my friends, they are useless when you go down as far as your behind is concerned, and in the rain, well I suppose your knees will stay dry! And by the way, for all you older guys, your baggy levi's hanging out of the back look like just that. Baggy, old jeans on an old guy's behind. Pony up and spring for the real biker garb, a pair of leather pants...you won't look like such a douche bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
My God, I've been riding 35 years and I still don't know why anyone would buy a pair of chaps! If you need protection gentlemen, buy a pair of leather pants. Chaps were made for cowboys my friends, they are useless when you go down as far as your behind is concerned, and in the rain, well I suppose your knees will stay dry! And by the way, for all you older guys, your baggy levi's hanging out of the back look like just that. Baggy, old jeans on an old guy's behind. Pony up and spring for the real biker garb, a pair of leather pants...you won't look like such a douche bag.
Welcome to the forum Rain, well I've been riding about 47 years and as matter a fact a cowboy did gave me my chaps, he broke em in riding bulls and as far as my behind goes, I have not gotten any complants from the ladies yet, plus when I ride in the rain and get somewhere to take a break I can just take the wet chaps off so I don't smell like the bull they were broke in on. You and Prince can wear your leather pants, I'll stick with the old easy on easy off chaps.
All joking aside everyone to their own.

Chaps work fine, fold up fine and provide descent protection...certainly better than a pair of faded blue jeans. That said, if looks are your driving force...they make riding pants that look like jeans that have Kevlar contact protection where it counts and can even be equipped with CE armour if so inclined...but at considerable bulk and cost. Full leather riding gear is the ultimate of course, but then would you really be riding on the Harley or for the protection or the "Look"? Either way, putting a label on something gets nothing done!:newsmile09:

I can definitely see Rain's point. Leather pants or overpants give you more overall protection if you go down and even keep the wind off of certain sensitive, male areas that chaps don't shield very well.

I've been reading some comments and reviews and the overpants seem like the way to go if you're thinking of trying these. More room to layer underneath or just wear your normal jeans and just about as easy on/off as chaps.

As far as the "look" or "image" of a Harley rider being spoiled, I don't agree. I think the leather overpants still retain the Harley/leather/bad-boy image we're all trying so hard to project to the world. :p I'm talking about the simple, solid black versions of course. If you are suiting up in a thousand dollar set of leather riding gear that looks like you just came off a world class road course, well, you probably should be on a different style bike.

Wow! Did I write that foul sounding diatribe up there?? Yes I suppose I did. OK, My apologies to all for being a judgmental fool. Look forward to being a more positive member of this forum.

i don't personally wear chaps--i prefer leather pants, or just denim. so this fix may be a lil off the wall for u. yrs ago, when i bought my first pair of good leather boots, i was having a hard time breaking them in. an old timer acquaintance took pity on me and told me to go stomp in every water puddle i could find and get them saturated, then wear them till they dried so the leather could conform to my feet. only then, mink oil them to preserve the leather. works like a charm for me! happy trails, cid

Good morning Rain, I did not responded too well to your post, to be honest I don't even wear the chaps a friend gave me in Texas, I just wear heavy jeans. I do have friends that wear chaps though, so I got a little offended and went off in left field when you said that about douche bags. The best riding gear is something like the FXRG leather jacket with leather pants, good protection and you can ride all year round warm & dry, I have the jacket but can't aford the pants. I do agree with most of what you said, now how about putting a few pic's of your 65 in your photo album. I have been a Pan head fan ever since I sold my 51.

Wow! Did I write that foul sounding diatribe up there?? Yes I suppose I did. OK, My apologies to all for being a judgmental fool. Look forward to being a more positive member of this forum.

Yes you did and Yes you should!

Thank you for your response, that is why we have an open forum, yet want those who make a statement stand by them but be generous with an open mind...just works better that way! :)

Back