free website stats program Sizing of Chaps | Harley Davidson Forums

Sizing of Chaps

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I have an inexpensive pair of chaps I bought at a "horse supply" store near where I live. They're made for motorcycling and the salesman seemed pretty knowledgeable when he was helping me pick a size. I thought they were too tight in the thighs but he said that's what you want.

While reading some expanded info on Fox Creek's site, I found basically the same guidance. It says you should just be able to push your hand into the chaps at the top of the thigh but not be able to move it around or wiggle the fingers.

Why are chaps supposed to be so tight in this area? It's one of the main reasons I don't wear them more often - simply a pain and a bother squeezing into them. Has anyone bought some with actual room in the thigh and wished they were tighter or discovered some reason why they shouldn't be looser and more comfortable?

I must of not paid attention to the "guidelines of chap fashions" !!! I got a pair that if necassary I can put my hand down thru the top and wiggle my fingers. I can also - on a cool morning - put my long johns and britches on and still get the chaps zipped up! I also hate a pair of chaps so tight that it pinches my fat legs while I'm goin down the hiway!!! Now I'm not saying that when I got my chaps on and they are so baggy that people are singing "pants on the ground"!!!! Besides out on a hot day , that breeze rollin up the pant legs feels pretty good!!!

I have always heard similar but mine are looose enough to get my flannel lined jeans and a pair of long johns on under them. At that they are pretty snug but not uncomfortable.

Hi Doc,
I bought a pair of chaps from the same horse supply store. I bought mine loose in the thighs. Anything tight get's uncomfortable fast. A little cool air does come in from the side. If it's really cold I wear fleece underneath my jeans too, problem solved. For me, if it gets below 50 I put them on. Difference of being cold or comfortable.

Well you've all convinced me that my next set of chaps, whenever that may happen, are going to be roomy and easier to put on!

The two main reasons I wear them are to reduce the wind chill effect on my legs on a cool day (and yes, I know, Lancer's definition of a cool day is going to different than Smitty's) and for a little added protection from stones and bugs when motoring along at highway speeds. Neither of those reasons seemed to dictate the tight chaps fit in the thigh so that's the reason I asked the original question.

I still like Richard's explanation of how his chaps must have shrunk over the years because they're tighter now than when he got them. This seems to happen to a lot of the clothing items in my closet! :p

"guidelines of chap fashions" :rofl :rofl :rofl

Well.......here's MY take!

Mine were tight when I bought them 20 years ago.

They are WAY, WAY tighter NOW!

Does leather shrink?????? :D

It sure does cos none of my 20+ year old leather goods fit any more :D

Brian

It sure does cos none of my 20+ year old leather goods fit any more :D

Brian

Whew!! I thought that I was having a real problem. I thought that being I went from a trim fit 165lb 25year old to a 210lb lets say slightly older man might be the reason. Got to yell at the wife for putting them in the dryer.

Just put the chaps on and try sitting as close as you can to your riding position. If they are comfortable and not binding then you have a good fit. You do not want any discomfort when riding.

You want to be able to have access to your front pockets to get your keys out. Mine handle the fleece-lined jeans or long johns for colder weather.

Back