free website stats program six speed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

six speed

i would like to add a six speed tranny to my 05 flstci heritage any sugestions: brand, direct drive,overdrive,raito etc

Correct me if Im wrong but the baker 6 speed uses a 1:1 ratio in 6th gear. most after market 6 speeds use .89:1 or .86:1 making them an overdrive trans. The 07 and up harley trans are 1:1 6th gear ratio. But for some reason all the 6 speed trans from the catalog for 06 and older only come with the .86:1 option. Not sure why that is.

When I changed out my OEM 5-spd for the 6-spd, I cheaped out and went with the SE 6-spd complete tranny. I wish I had spent the extra bucks and went for the top of the pile and bought the Baker DD6.

Most of the 6 spd tranny makers just add an over-drive gear on the ratios stated above. This is true for the SE 6-spd. You can do this yourself with one of the Builder's kits from any of these mfgrs.

Baker, on the other hand, has the 6th gear as a direct drive with 1:1 ratio. This is more mechanically efficient than the over-drives. So they get the reduction in final drive with a change in the compensator sprocket and new chain. In fact, 1st through 3rd gears are straight cut (spur) for strength during maximum acceleration with no parasitic axial thrust. 4th and 5th gears are automotive style helical gears for quiet and smooth operation as highway speed approaches. 6th gear is direct drive which means there is no underdrive or overdrive in top gear which translates into 99% efficiency for minimum parasitic loss, minimum wear and tear, and maximum fuel efficiency. The Baker Builder's kit includes:

- Billet 6061-T6 bearing door
- 1/8″ thick bearing retainer plate
- Helical & spur gear design gear for quite operation
- 28 tooth compensator sprocket forged out of 8620 gear steel
- Regina double row primary chain
- Fat shoe chain tensioner w/hardware
- All transmission seals, gaskets and hardware
- 5 Year limited warranty

For lots more info, check out the Technical tab here:

DD6: Direct Drive 6-Speed | Baker Drivetrain

TQ

PS - can you tell I favour the Baker tranny?

TQ

PS - can you tell I favour the Baker tranny Yep and if not for Baker H D would probably still be working on building a 6 speed instead of refining the very stout 5 speed

Back