free website stats program Six Speed Transmission Problem | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Six Speed Transmission Problem

Glad I saw this thread ... I've had my Ultra since Friday and it rained alot ... New bike curse. Yesterday I took her for a 200 mile run. 5th made the noise ... not all that loud, but sounded different from the other gears enough for me to take notice. She pulled fine and the RPM was constant so there was nothing wrong but the difference in sound. Was going to see the dealer about this ... Now I guess I'll just mention it when I'm next there. See what they say.

After following the advice of Glider and the rest of you guys. I have a 09 Heritage and put the spectro and Mobile oil and added the TFI and I have NO issues with trans and most of the clunk is gone from my tranny. If you follow the advice of these guru's you can't go wrong Thanks guys.:cheers

Glad I saw this thread ... I've had my Ultra since Friday and it rained alot ... New bike curse. Yesterday I took her for a 200 mile run. 5th made the noise ... not all that loud, but sounded different from the other gears enough for me to take notice. She pulled fine and the RPM was constant so there was nothing wrong but the difference in sound. Was going to see the dealer about this ... Now I guess I'll just mention it when I'm next there. See what they say.

GLIDER HAS THE ANSWER.... RIGHT BELOW THIS QUOTE FROM EMU....

ALSO
*** Remember my friend SIFI : bot a NEW 2009 street glide....
Took it back to the dealer VERY UN-HAPPY about the tranny noise.... HE said it whined to a point in 1st and 5 that he thought it was going to explode.... demanding " do something or give me my trade in back"!!!!!!!!

their response was:::::

they all do that... It's a harley.... it will break-in and sound normal "LATER"

HOW RIGHT THEY WERE (ha ha)...... THE "LATER" WAS WHEN SIFI changed ALL his lubes @ 400 miles TO FULL SYNTHETICS..... BOUGHT a quart of REDLINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY from me,,,(for tranny) that solved his NOISE in 1 and 5th... TOTALLY GONE....

I mentioned LATER to the dealer >>> WHY don't you guys bench the problem and suggest a BETTER (RIGHT) lube oil for the tranny.... especially when IT SAVED A VALUED CUSTOMER ....
I think they say red or spectro now...

I'm NOT ONLY pushing redline products 20/50 redline, SHOCKPROOF heavy for tranny, MTL for chaincase... AS THEY DO THE FULL JOB but REDLINE IS HARD to find.......SPECTRO,,,, said to be easier to locate.

Spectro gear lube (has shockproof in it) has done the same good job in tranny from what others have said HERE on hdtimeline and I would suggest::

JUST CHANGE OUT THE LUBES AND GO THE WAY OF THE
KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE ON THIS WEB-SITE....

Save FRUSTRATION AND GO WITH THE FLOW.....

strong words but THE 100's who KNOW are HERE....

signed....BUBBIE

I recently purchased a 2010 Street Glide. 5th Gear is church quiet, first has a noticeable whine, no big deal. After about 200 miles I noticed a loud rattling when hot in neutral with the clutch released, pull in the clutch and it stopped. I mentioned this to the dealer at the 1K service. They ended up replacing the clutch hub bearing. After I got it back now I really notice the clutch lever moving in and out when I accelerate and decelerate in 1st thru
4th gear and I still have the rattle. So even with the new 5th gear the poor tranny tolerances prevail!! And just think I waited on the 2010 because the tranny was supposed to be better. Gonna take it back one more time any advice?

If there's another HD dealership in driving range I would make the drive, the 2010's are good machines, but sounds like you have a incompetent service department you're dealing with. I would also try some red line SP or Spectro six speed trans. after you get the trans fixed right, just my opinion.

I'm a new member with an 09 Deluxe. I changed to Spectro 6 speed and everything is quiet. Of course I'm 64 and can't hear anything anyhow. Never had a vibration problem either. I still think it's kind of funny to hear people mention Harley's and vibration in the same sentence. Do you think they don't vibrate? At least other than the Softails.

I have an 07' electra glide which had a vibration in sixth gear. The dealer told me the same as you. Well, now they're rebuilding it. It eventually destroyed itself. Good luck with yours.

Back