free website stats program Six Speed Transmission Problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Six Speed Transmission Problem

IMO the problem is the compensator assembly not picking up the load the same as the older ones did and not the transmission at all even thou the tolerances are a bit looser than the previous year transmissions and built cheaper.

When I first decided to get a 09 Ultra, I was scared to death about the 5th gear whine issue. I was surprised after I rode it. The dreaded whine is almost a non issue for me. It was so much less than I imagined, I had to wonder what all the hype was about. It just is not a big deal to me. I can hear it if I listen for it, but if I had not read about it prior I don't know if I even would have cared about the noise. Maybe I got lucky and got one that is quiet, who knows. It also helps knowing it is a non issue as far as mechanical problems are concerned. I do run spectro for 6 speeds, but that is for the protection more than any other reason. This is one of those things that got blown out of proportion in my book. If this is the biggest issue then I am a happy happy camper.:hii

I don't think my 09 ever really had a whine in 5th gear but I did put spectro in when I changed the oil at 100 miles.

Doc I fell in love with the ultra when I rode my buddies 02 and from every thing I heard on hear and from another friend who rented an 07 and then an 09 a month later, he said it was like a night and day difference, that was enough for me. the first time I rode an 09 was when I brought my bike home. I'm loving it.

I have a 2010 Ultra Classic ( 1000 miles ) with a whine in 1st gear and when it gets hot the clutch makes a clicking sound in neutral, but goes away when you pull the clutch cable in.
The Dealer just replace the inner primary bearing and the clutch throw out bearing, put it on the Dyno and still makes the same noise. Louder than my RUSH mufflers.

Last resort: Magnuson-Moss Warrenty Act...........
HD has 15 day to respond and 10 days to repair !!!

heres a kicker neither of my 09's suffer the noise from the gear box ????? and my heritage never suffered from vibes due to the gear box

My 09 FLHT seems to be pretty quiet so maybe they did something in 09 that they aren't telling.

Hobbit, how do you like the gear ratios? I reckon HD got it pretty much spot on. First 5 a bit lower than my old 5 speed (03) and 6th brilliant above 90k (50mph??) Great usable touring ratios IMHO.

Neil

I am totally happy with my 6-speed. Riding is a little different now that i am not "searchin" for that next gear. With this one it seems as though i have more than six. There seems to be a gear for every speed. I do have a 1st gear whine that is noticeable,but nothing that bothers me to much. Just different!

I knew about the whine before I bought my bike, some are just a tad louder than other, I notice my first more than the fifth, but it's not too bad. Of course they fixed it on the 10's

Back