free website stats program Six Speed Transmission Problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Six Speed Transmission Problem

rogerbush

5th gear in the new 6 speed transmissions on (07 through 09) Harley Davidsons is a spur gear, or so I've been told, and makes a terrible whining and growling noise which adds to vibration of the bike. I'm told that Harley Davidson has know about this problem since before it's introduction and refuses to change the spur gear for a helical gear which should reduce or eliminate the noise.

I found a fix, but of course it costs nearly $1,000.00 however,I hate to put out more money to fix something that should have been fixed in the design stage of the product.

I talked to one guy online that told me he fixed the problem by putting on louder pipes. It did stop him from hearing the noise but the vibration was still there.

Has anyone talked to Harley Davidson regarding this issue?

Thanks
Roger

Yes, there are a bunch of opinions about the noise of your transmission in 5th gear.

HD has manufactured a part called IDS. Stock on 2008s. You can retrofit your bike. Search this forum and you will see numerous comments about the IDS.

With mileage, your transmission will quiet down. And follow the advice above about using a QUALITY gear lube. Do not use a motor oil in your transmission.:small3d038:

I have had a tranmission vibration in my 07 Heritage in 5th and 6th gear since I bought the bike. Brought it to the selling dealer three times. Each time they tell me there's nothing they can do. In August I brought it to another dealer demanding the factory rep ride the bike. I've been waiting four month's now for the rep to call me. I believe Harley is avoiding me and my vibration and personally I'm ready for a lawyer and maybe we'll all get new transmissions.

I have had a tranmission vibration in my 07 Heritage in 5th and 6th gear since I bought the bike. Brought it to the selling dealer three times. Each time they tell me there's nothing they can do. In August I brought it to another dealer demanding the factory rep ride the bike. I've been waiting four month's now for the rep to call me. I believe Harley is avoiding me and my vibration and personally I'm ready for a lawyer and maybe we'll all get new transmissions.

If you look at another thread on this issue Glider had posted a tip on vibration dampener, and if your running HD oil change to a gear oil

That was the IDS system and it's not available for softails, only touring bikes.

The Spectro trans oil is though.

it is not a problem to me. by the way, my 08 has IDS and I still hear the whining in 5th, it just doesn't bother me, it's not that loud.

I've never really noticed it that much on my bike either. I've got the Spectro for 6 speeds in there so maybe that's the difference.

Gripes like the OP always make me wonder - why the heck did you buy the bike if it bothered you so much. Surely you noticed it on the test ride or during the rental when you were deciding on a bike, right? Please tell me you did at least a test ride before buying?

I've never really noticed it that much on my bike either. I've got the Spectro for 6 speeds in there so maybe that's the difference.

Gripes like the OP always make me wonder - why the heck did you buy the bike if it bothered you so much. Surely you noticed it on the test ride or during the rental when you were deciding on a bike, right? Please tell me you did at least a test ride before buying?

I will confess something here I was in Louisianna on business and seen my bike at a dealer,just checking things out. About a week later I e-mailed the dealer asking about it. They phoned me and we made a deal on it.They shipped it to Port Huron for me and I rode it home from there. I had never even sat on a bagger before that,let alone ride one.That ride home was one of the best in my life:D

This has been the subject of much debate. I have a 2007 Heritage Softail. Fifth gear is only really noticable when lugging the engine. I have a tachometer on mine and I do not lug the engine so the noise is not a problem. I shift into sixth gear only at speeds above sixty five MPH. I have been waiting to hear of transmission failures for two years and have not heard of any. My Heritage just turned over twenty thousand trouble free miles before I put it away for the winter. The six speeds are geared tall for highway riding and they are close ratio and you really need to work the shifter, not just lug the bike around.

Back