free website stats program Simply changing cam covers | Harley Davidson Forums

Simply changing cam covers

obchoice

I want to just change the cam cover on my 2010 streetglide with a 96 in motor. When I remove all 10 or so bolts, Is there also an inner cover or will parts start popping out automatically as I open it up?

Nothing but the pistons will pop out at you :s

Just kidding but take a piece of cardboard and draw a cam cover outline on it and put the bolts through the cardboard so they go back in the right place, they have different length bolts and some have ended up stripping out the holes trying to reinstall the wrong bolt.

HaHA...Thanks for the Intel and appreciate the tip. Wasn't sure if clips or springs or such were going to roll all over the floor.

New gasket too. And a rag to catch the little bit of oil that will seep all over the place. When I did mine I went to new chrome screws, just for looks. I think the torque value on those is 120"# but my manual is in the shop, so that's off the top of my head. Maybe check the link here to verify.

New gasket too. And a rag to catch the little bit of oil that will seep all over the place. When I did mine I went to new chrome screws, just for looks. I think the torque value on those is 120"# but my manual is in the shop, so that's off the top of my head. Maybe check the link here to verify.

Like said, the cam covers on TC motors are Just a cover.. It does cover a lot of things Like the oil pump that is Behind the cam-plate that you will see.. Really a Neat engine.

I would take a shop rag and place it wedged Under the cam-plate/frame of bike before taking out the bolts. that way the oil that IS There will not run Back Under the motor and make it hard to clean..

Usually up to a 1/5 cup of oil May come out.(i like to keep on the side stand and Less oil will come out.)

This is the area that the sump oil (collection) of the engine allows the oil pump to pick it up and put it back away from the engine.. So Oil Is There..

I always Like to take OFF the bolts Doing the Reverse of the Tightening Torque Pattern In the Big Book.. Taking Twice around to Loosen to finger Loose.

USE the proper procedures to RE -INSTALL using a Torque wrench AND Torquing pattern.. Very important as you don't want to Bend out of shape the New Cover.. Use a new gasket when Changing the Cover for another one.. I do get by Just Fine with re-using my gasket (when SAME cam-plate) IF Not damaged..

ALSO when putting it on Please clean the bolts off, with a wire brush,,,,,, I personally don't use blue lock tight here but Some Do... Check the manual to see IF it is called out for.(you should have bought by now).. It will give you ALL the information YOU need to do things right...

signed....BUBBIE

Back