Simple Question......Tubes

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by Amish Hawg, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Amish Hawg

Amish Hawg Active Member Contributor

So, I'm shopping again for tires. I've searched on here but I couldn't find a "solid" answer.

Why is there a need for tubes when my wheels are spoked? (fatties)
    After that......I understand that it would be good to change them out when I change tires due to a safety issue, but is it a must?

Indy says one thing, dealer says another and yet another story when I see another. Dealer wants $650 for two tires installed ( no labor special). Indy wants 400.

My plan is to do the tires and tubes, but I was just curious.

Ya'll have a great week.
  2. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

If the rims were solid,You would need no innertube.Spokes can loosen and leak air.
  3. hillbilly81

hillbilly81 Active Member

It is always a good idea to change out tubes when running spoke wheels....IMHO
  4. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Spoke nipples do not provide an airtight seal where they meet the rim. Rim strips are used as a buffer between the sharp edges on the spokes and the inner tube.
    Tubes and tires flex a little when hitting bumps, hard braking, etc., that causes the tube and tire to rub, and why new tubes are recommended when changing tires. It's a few extra dollars that may save a blowout.
    I just paid $150 for a Dunlop American Elite delivered to my door, and I'll pay a shop $25 for mounting, balancing & new stem (I carry the rim in). Your dealers "no labor" price means he's charging $325 each for the tires?
  5. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

6. Amish Hawg

Thanks All - I now understand the tubes and strap

Breeze - with NO special, original quote was $825. That's with the 2 Dunlop 402 WW's. Pretty steep to me.......he wont see my biz. Heck, I put 4 mudders on my Hummer for a little more than that.

I'll go the Motorcycle Superstore and play there. I can get CII's or Dunlops for under 300, Shinko's for $200 ( leery there). My Indy will take them off and mount for $70 ea. 40 if I pull them.
  7. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Make sure that when you order the tubes that you get new rim strips with them as the rim strips take a wee bit of abuse being between the tube and the spokes
    I have seen both rim strips and tubes disintegrate due to age and not being replaced
    I always replace both when replacing a tyre I always fit my own tyres however between my 3 bikes I only have 1 spoke wheel fxstc has a solid on the rear and a 21" spoke on the front

8. Amish Hawg

Just an update. This thing called work got in the way and delayed me.

This turned into a "quest" to get the best price. These are all installed at their site. Dealer 1 - 680 for 2 402's www. Dealer 2 - 587 for the same. (418 for the rear only) pffffffffft.
    Metric dealer - 490 for CII' s or dunlop (bring in my own tubes)
    Local Indy. 483 for 2 New Metzler 888's tubes,strips and all. 140 labor included in there. Roughly 150 per tire cost. Get the bike tomorrow.

Reviews on the 888's seem positive. I went solid black this time. Maybe I'll like the look. They tell me the bike will ride completely different we'll see.
  9. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The me888 is a radial tyre rather than a cross ply as usually fitted by HD and as such will require a wee bit more air pressure to support the sidewall so check with metzler for recommended tyre pressures for your bike as the book pressures will be for a cross ply

10. Joyflyin

Joyflyin Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator

I hate when work interferes with personal life. :(