free website stats program Simple (hopefully) wiring harness question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Simple (hopefully) wiring harness question.

Jagnutz

Hey! New guy here. New to the forum and new to Harleys.

After an accident... I'm installing an HD made Vivid Black Chopped Rear Fender kit on my 2014 Sportster XL1200C. The kit came with a tail light converter module which is supposed to eliminate the center tail light and integrate the brake lights and turn signals into what used to be just the turn signal light pods. There is a six pin connector on the converter module that is supposed to connect to socket housing 7A on the main vehicle harness...

Can someone please thell me where the (EDIT) socket 7A on the (EDIT) vehicle harness is? Pictures would be fantastic. I've taken all kinds of (EDIT) apart and can't find anything that matches the connector on the converter module. If the connector on the bike is actually different, no worries, I work on airplanes so I can do some cutting and splicing. Any other advice and info will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jagnutz

If the module is a "y" connector with 2 plugs and a small rectangular module then look for where your wiring harness penetrates the rear fender going to the taillight and directional signals. There should be a connector, unplug it and plug the new module in. That's all there is to it. Pretty sure you won't lose the function of the taillight, on my softail the module converts the directional signals to running lights and brake lights while still retaining the directional signal function.

Thanks for the reply, but the module is not as you described. It has a total of 4 sets of wires coming out of it. One 3 wire for the left turn signal/brake light, one three wire for the right turn signal/brake light, one two wire for the license plate lights, and one 7 wire that is supposed to connect to socket 7A on the bike... I can't find socket 7A on the bike or any other socket that looks like the connector on the module.

Thanks again!

In your 1st. post you say conn.7A is 6 pin, then you say 7 wire on conn. 7A. I believe it to be a 6 pin connector. I have a diagram for an '05 XL which I think is the same as yours. The 6 wire conn. 7A is under the seat near the rear fender and is normally black. It will NOT be marked as 7A, no label at all. It has the following wires to it, an orange, brown, blue, red with a yellow tracer, violet, and a black. When you find it, turn your ign. on with the Run/Kill in the off position. Your rear tail light should be on. Now unplug what you think is 7A and the tail light should go out. The other 3 connectors on your adapter should plug into the connectors inside the tail light. IIRC newer tail lights have connectors inside the Red lens. I don't know your setup bu a pic or P/N would help. There were no instructions with it?
tourbox

Tourbox, you are correct. It is a 6 pin connector. I guess my mind is preoccupied with "7" because of my frustration with socket 7A. HOWEVER, there are actually 7 wires going into the 6 pin connector. There are two blue wires going into one of the slots on the connector. Hehe!

Yes, there are instructions. They say something along the lines of "plug the 6 pin connector into socket 7A and to look at a service manual for the location of 7A.". I do not have a service manual.

I will see about getting some pics and/or part numbers up later.

Thanks for the help!

In case it helps at all, I googled a pic of the kit I got from HD. The kit part number 60236-10DH. More pics of the module etc. later.

Thanks again.60236-09DH_TT.jpeg

Looking at your pic it appears you will need the connectors for the L&R turn assembly. You may need to take them off your existing ones or buy the parts for new ones. The original is a 2 way connector for each blinker. I can't tell from your pic if the new blinker is 2 or 3 wire. Probably a 2 wire. They would plug into your new 3 wire connectors. The on e with a Violet wire should be your Left turn signal. The Blue wires you spoke of are your tail light wire. The red w/ yellow tracer would be your brake light. The Orange is power(12Vdc) and blk. should be ground Brown would be Right turn signal.
Hope this helps. I'll try to get a pic of 7A location.
tourbox

The kit came with new innards that put the brake lights and turn signals together with dual element bulbs. There are three wires per assembly, red, black, and purple. Check the pic. I was in a hurry so the pic isn't that great. More later. Anyway, the box on top is the module. The connectors that came with it (EDIT) so I replaced them. The blue wires on the new plugs are connected to the purple wires on the harness. The connector on the right by the oil cap is the one I need to find a home for at socket 7A. The two wire is for the license plate light.

Thanks once again for your help!20180307_085225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 7A connector is there where your module is or tucked in the frame area there. The output side of 7A goes to the original wiring that goes thru the rear fender to original tail light & blinkers. IIRC there is a wire loom for each blinker on each side of the fender plus your loom for the tail light. Your connector next to the oil cap plugs into the bike side of 7A, not the one going thru the rear fender. The blue wires are normally tail light, while the violet wire is left turn signal, and brown is right turn signal. Do you have those colors, including the brown? Those colors would be on your 7A, bike side. They simplified the L/R turn signal to violet only. You will have to correct that at 7A for each blinker. Once you have the new connector from module plugged into your 7A I would check the output from the module for the blinkers, tail light, brake light, etc before actually tieing them into the units themselves. You can do this with a 12Vdc test light. Reason being you said something to the effect of replacing some connectors.
tourbox

Back