free website stats program Simple fix to the "flopping key" on a Dyna | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Simple fix to the "flopping key" on a Dyna

WhiteRider, I have to say that was one of my "nits" with the Sportster, and I was thinking of a console dash, tach and ignition mod on my 4.2 gal tank. Of course, being the minimalist kind of guy, I probably won't because I like the rather simple "bare-knuckles" design of the roadster.
I've thought about a console change too. Then I'll just leave it unlocked like I did on my Springer. If I do that I might as well leave this one on and rewire it with a relay and switch somewhere more convenient. Mind you then the first question that will get asked in the bike gets stolen will be *was the steering lock on*... Of course it was.

I'll probably just get over it eventually.

Or you could do this!
switch.jpg

I use a keychain with a small spring loaded clasp on it. It hooks to my belt loop while I am riding. The key with just a ring is in the ignition. Get done riding, hook the key & ring onto the clasp and hang it on the keyboard.

Hi there, A friend of mine has a Dyna with the key in the downtube/steering head nad he would love to be able to swapp it out for the ignition on the tank. Can you steer me towards the parts list and let me know if you had any problems doing this.

Thanks

Neil
Just to clarify - I tried it on my stock ignition located in the down tube prior to switching out to the dash mounted ignition. My key is the round barrel type with the nipple on the end.

Back