free website stats program Simple fix to the "flopping key" on a Dyna | Harley Davidson Forums

Simple fix to the "flopping key" on a Dyna

DadzLowrider

I figured since I was switching out my ignition switch to a Soft Tail type on my dash I would try a little test. I ground the little "nipple" off the end of my key and I am still able to put the key in the stock ignition and then remove it and ride, so no more key flopping. A nice cheap easy fix. Just thought I would share for those that it drives crazy having it flop around in the wind and scratching up your frame. Took about 5 seconds with a dremmel.

Just curious...is your key the round barrel type with the index "nipple" on the end?

Unless I'm mistaken with your brand of switch that you bought , once you unlock the ignition switch the key isn't needed again unless you want to lock it again. It will still operate without the key.

I think what he is saying that if you grind the nipple off the key you can remove the key with the ignition on on a stock bike. This would allow the key to be removed when you are riding down the road instead of flopping around.

I think what he is saying that if you grind the nipple off the key you can remove the key with the ignition on on a stock bike. This would allow the key to be removed when you are riding down the road instead of flopping around.

"I figured since I was switching out my ignition switch to a Soft Tail type on my dash"

I understand what he is saying but the key switches that are top tank mounted is what I was referring to here, not the ones that are on the side of some bikes.

I thought all of the barrel style keys were removable after unlocking??

Just to clarify - I tried it on my stock ignition located in the down tube prior to switching out to the dash mounted ignition. My key is the round barrel type with the nipple on the end.

Just to clarify - I tried it on my stock ignition located in the down tube prior to switching out to the dash mounted ignition. My key is the round barrel type with the nipple on the end.

Food for thought. Thanks.
I run mine with the fob in my jacket pocket and the key with only a small ring on it (to aid finding it should I drop it (like when you reach over to switch off!)). I hate flapping keys at the best of times. I thought the old key position was dumb by the battery box. The new one is DUMMER.

WhiteRider, I have to say that was one of my "nits" with the Sportster, and I was thinking of a console dash, tach and ignition mod on my 4.2 gal tank. Of course, being the minimalist kind of guy, I probably won't because I like the rather simple "bare-knuckles" design of the roadster.

Why not get a quick release key chain like they use in rock climbing. Once detached I loop the key holder around my belt. After a ride I re-attach the ignition key.

Back