free website stats program Silly Exhaust Sound... | Harley Davidson Forums

Silly Exhaust Sound...

Oscar

...at least I think it's silly, but it's been bugging me. Every time I ride over a bridge, or overpass, or similar structure, my exhaust takes on a high pitched, sort of whistling sound. It does this without fail and without regard to wind speed, my speed, etc. I'm assuming it's just the wind hitting the ends of the Rinehart pipes and making a sound like blowing into a jug, I just find it interesting that it never fails.

I would venture to guess that you are hearing the noise of the bike bouncing off the walls of the bridge. My bike does this too & that's what I think is happening. It probably has a technical term, but it's late & I'm tired. :)

Now, let's sit back and see if we both learn something. :s

I would venture to guess that you are hearing the noise of the bike bouncing off the walls of the bridge. My bike does this too & that's what I think is happening. It probably has a technical term, but it's late & I'm tired. :)

Now, let's sit back and see if we both learn something. :s

Harmonics?:s

Could be there Jack. :D I kept thinking reverb, but I'm pretty sure that is not the technical term in this case. :s I'm off to bed, it's been a very long day. Hoping the brain will be clearer tomorrow.

Exhaust sounds different in canyons or when riding with other HDs, that rumble whan bouncing in and out of harmony with the other bikes is a sound truly like rolling thunder. I think the term Jack and Joy are thinking is "Doppler effect" that change in pitch higher or lower as vehicle gets closer to you or farther from you. I also like the sound reflections when you pass sound barrier walls or metal bridge trestles with cross beams the metal scrolled grating humming underneath. I think it is kinda neat, a virtual concert goes on, especially with the half helmet. Enhanced sensations of sounds AND smells...you know your really enjoying the ride if that is what you remember, that first grove of tall trees and you here the echos reflecting back...hey its' Monday, and I am stoked...tomorrow is another motorcycle ride away...ENJOY!

Exhaust sounds different in canyons or when riding with other HDs, that rumble whan bouncing in and out of harmony with the other bikes is a sound truly like rolling thunder. I think the term Jack and Joy are thinking is "Doppler effect" that change in pitch higher or lower as vehicle gets closer to you or farther from you. I also like the sound reflections when you pass sound barrier walls or metal bridge trestles with cross beams the metal scrolled grating humming underneath. I think it is kinda neat, a virtual concert goes on, especially with the half helmet. Enhanced sensations of sounds AND smells...you know your really enjoying the ride if that is what you remember, that first grove of tall trees and you here the echos reflecting back...hey its' Monday, and I am stoked...tomorrow is another motorcycle ride away...ENJOY!

HMMM, I like your answer better than mine, I have turn outs by cycle shack with modified baffles by me and I like the Doppler Effect,I knew some one on the Left Coast would have the right answer:p

There is some kind of exhaust valve in the system on my RKC that I hear the same way you describe. I believe it helps with torq but I've yet to see one apart to understand it completely. Kinda squeals like a hog! :p

There is some kind of exhaust valve in the system on my RKC that I hear the same way you describe. I believe it helps with torq but I've yet to see one apart to understand it completely. Kinda squeals like a hog! :p

Thats cause your riding a Hog remember? LOL:p

Back