free website stats program Signals flash at normal interval then speed up | Harley Davidson Forums

Signals flash at normal interval then speed up

Jetfever

2005 Heritage.

Possible TSS module fail/ damage?

Problem: Turn signals flash at normal speed, 2 or 3 times, then speed up like a bulb is inop (not the case, all bulbs are working).

Set up:

I noticed my friends Softail Heritage Rear signals were not working on our ride.

We removed the aftermarket (under seat) module that made his rear signals (dim) running lights. We assumed this part had overheated and burned out.

This PARTLY fixed the problem. Now the rear signals work (illuminate), but after a few flashes, they speed up to very fast blink rate.

We looked in the Softail service/ repair manual, and it leads us to a module: TSM/TSSM.

Before replacing this module, is there a test? Could the "failed" aftermarket running light module have caused this problem?

I have a similar "Harley Davidson module" on my bike (rear running lights/ signals are red), and I do not want to damage my TSM if this is indeed the problem.

Thanks, Steve

2005 Heritage.

Possible TSS module fail/ damage?

Problem: Turn signals flash at normal speed, 2 or 3 times, then speed up like a bulb is inop (not the case, all bulbs are working).

Set up:

I noticed my friends Softail Heritage Rear signals were not working on our ride.

We removed the aftermarket (under seat) module that made his rear signals (dim) running lights. We assumed this part had overheated and burned out.

This PARTLY fixed the problem. Now the rear signals work (illuminate), but after a few flashes, they speed up to very fast blink rate.

We looked in the Softail service/ repair manual, and it leads us to a module: TSM/TSSM.

Before replacing this module, is there a test? Could the "failed" aftermarket running light module have caused this problem?

I have a similar "Harley Davidson module" on my bike (rear running lights/ signals are red), and I do not want to damage my TSM if this is indeed the problem.

Thanks, Steve

First thing, check for codes:

04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

I would look at the bulbs and make sure they are the correct ones and not ones that were matched to the unplugged device

Brian

I'm with Brian on this one. It sounds like an electrical load problem. Maybe after a couple of flashes the bulb heats up and the resistance changes. I am sure Mr. Electricity will give some technical info when he sees the post.

Check the light fixtures themselves when this happens and see which one isn't flashing (front or rear and probably only on one side, L or R), that's the problem one. Most likely a swinging filament in the bulb and should be replaced or even a socket connection not properly seating on the back of the bulb, check for corrosion and apply some dielectric grease to the socket.

Back