free website stats program SideShots Help | Harley Davidson Forums

SideShots Help

Hey, I just got my set of V&H SideShots, already installed the air cleaner and FuelPak. I removed the stock pipes w/ no prob. Having a really hard time getting the new pipes to fit. Tried a few times w/ the heat shields on like the directions called for. No Luck. Took the heat shields off, still no luck. I'm getting really tired of scratching coating off my engine. Anybody done this? any tips?

If you are having that much trouble wit the fit, maybe a bit of tape on the pipe where it's hitting the engine will keep you from scratching the engine coating. Just be sure to get any adhesive off that may remain before starting the engine.

Are you sure they are the right pipes for the application?

well, the problem is more that they just wont fit in their home. either the flange or the engine is always in the way. just wondering if anyone has any tips with the fit.

Like glider indicates - double-check to ensure they sent the right pipes/kit. Could be some small differences between bike years... Also, are you trying to put them on as a "pair" or separate? They should mound individually - re-read the instructions, or call V&H for guidance. Be patient - you'll get them on & love the sound. Also, masking tape is your friend when doing anything around the motor. Good luck!

Lots of cases where one years pipe will fit but not line up with everything elsewhere like it should. I had a case on a previous RK that the "Y" pipe cracked and the bike was a 96RK and the parts guy (knowing me) thought it was a 97 so ordered a 97 pipe (so I was told) and I got it on the bike and noticed that the muffler end wha much higher on that side. The angle of the outlet on the pipe was at a different angle so I had to remove it and he reordered the correct pipe that went on right.

Yeah, its the right set of pipes. The two pipes are welded together so they have to go on as a pair. the directions state "7. Using stock flange nuts, carefully install head pipes into exhaust ports (Assistance may be required). NOTE: Do not tighten at this time."
A member on another forum said i should attach the front first and tap it in w/ a rubber mallet.

I don't like to force anything to fit with a mallet, If it isn't going in on it's own, there should be a reason.

Quite simply pipe bending is an art...and seriously the variations even in within a model type and year are significant when you are talking with tolerance of tube bending to be less than a few thousands of an inch over a long span. Slip pipe fitting and getting them to their desination without being "sprung" is tough.

If the angle is wrong or distance is more than 1/16" you should not use a mallet or force things. Some of the clamps used can compensate for rubber mounted engines, but if rigid mounted it must fit else vibration will fatigue and crack. There are reducer and expander tools to rework the metal ends, but that is a last resort. Best to get the right ones and this is another reason to keep your old pipes to use as reference, as "spare" during change or inspections. Model year does matter and sometimes that hidden part number makes a big difference if mid year changes occur.

Hmmmmmmmmmm a Big Hammer ya make sure you got the right pipe kit ?

Only the boss needs a big Hammer, force is not needed, agree with 59Panhead :s using the hammer could damage more than the pipe

Last edited by a moderator:
Back