free website stats program Side cover tab broken off? | Harley Davidson Forums

Side cover tab broken off?

There's a lot of products that may work to reattach the tab but I seriously doubt they would hold for too long in that area due to the stress that is put on the tab whey you remove and reinstall it. I usually put a dab of something like armor all or even a touch of Vaseline on the tab so it can be removed with little stress on the part.
Your best bet would be to replace it unless you want to try a repair and if you loose it then deal with the replacement.

Right off hand I'd say push the tab thru and recover it. Use a small diameter stainless panhead screw and pre drill the tab and drill thru the side cover glue and insert the screw. It should not be noticeable.

Any Ideas? I removed the side cover on my King and the bottom tab was still in the hole.:(

The ABS (plastic) sidecover? If you have a real collision repair shop or auto body paint supply, you might stop in and ask what they use to repair plastic damage. Dealerships usually replace parts.
Thanks for the report, I'm gonna put some lube on the tabs so it doesn't happen to me.

The ABS (plastic) sidecover? If you have a real collision repair shop or auto body paint supply, you might stop in and ask what they use to repair plastic damage. Dealerships usually replace parts.
Thanks for the report, I'm gonna put some lube on the tabs so it doesn't happen to me.

Harley Davidson Community try this and you wont be disappointed :s

There's a lot of products that may work to reattach the tab but I seriously doubt they would hold for too long in that area due to the stress that is put on the tab whey you remove and reinstall it. I usually put a dab of something like armor all or even a touch of Vaseline on the tab so it can be removed with little stress on the part.
Your best bet would be to replace it unless you want to try a repair and if you loose it then deal with the replacement.

Glider, what about Pledge?? :p

I'm not sure how long Harley has to keep parts in stock. If your bike is black then you have it made. I would replace and do as Glider suggested and grease the rubber in the hole. The original side cover would be good to work on repairing.

I've seen side covers for sale on eBay & CraigsList, but like the drill, pin & epoxy recommendation. My Right-side cover is a pain now after adding TD's b/c exhaust almost sits on cover so it's a tight squeeze. Hard getting to fuses so I'll have to come up w/a plan...starting w/vaseline (thanks glider).

I think that I have found a solution for the broken tab. I had tried a 2-part epoxy for plastic and it did not hold up, I think it was because of the high temp of being inches away from the exhaust pipe. I used Loctite super glue Ultra Gel Control ( impact resistant). We went 300 plus mi. over the weekend and checked today and all looks good. I'll keep an eye on it and keep you up to date. Thanks again for all the help and information.:)

PS. I also used the petroleum jelly for lube and it does make a difference. A lot less friction.

If you have a bodyshop close by, they have a 3M two part product specificaly made for reattaching tabbs to all types of plastic parts.

Back