shvelhead rebuild

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by doc hughes blues, Dec 25, 2010.

1. doc hughes blues

doc hughes blues New Member

i live in western illinois. my 76 shovel is due for a rebuild and i am at a loss finding a reliable reputable mechanic. i don't mind going some distance to find the right mechanic as long as im sure i wont be dissapointed with the results. the last guy that worked on it left the piston pin keepers off and ended up being the shortest lived rebuild ever. if anyone would like to refer a guy they were pleased with or know of it would help a lot. thanks for the help.

2. maine-e-axe

maine-e-axe Junior Member

If you can't trust yourself who can you trust, buy a HD manual and go for it. Top end is not that hard to do.

3. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Agree here, not very hard to do with a factory manual and some help from us:s

4. doc hughes blues

doc hughes blues New Member

merry christmas everyone,
    thanks for response and i can dig what you be sayin'. i do most of the work on my bike always have. im just not equiped for the work that needs done. the lowerend needs everything. the breather needs bored and sleaved
    crank needs trued and balanced. timing hole is stripped. the cylinders are scored . would like to double plug the heads. valves and rockers etc. i think i can do alot of the work myself but begging borrowing and farming out for machine work and tools takes forever and i want to ride this spring. anyway, if anyone knows a good guy out there thats reputable and reliable pleeeeeese let me know. or if you know of places that would steer away from. i really prefer to take it to a established business that guarantees their work.

5. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

PM Chopper and work a deal with him.

TQ

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Best advice here and sure you can get good turn around time:s