free website stats program Shovelhead pushrod adjustment need help please. | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovelhead pushrod adjustment need help please.

edgydt50

I am rebuilding my 1975 FL shovel Electraglide and dont really know how to set up the pushrod adjustment. It is fitted with spring loaded solid lifters and all the info and manuals are talking about hydraulic lifters. Any one got any experience of setting solid lifters ???

I am rebuilding my 1975 FL shovel Electraglide and dont really know how to set up the pushrod adjustment. It is fitted with spring loaded solid lifters and all the info and manuals are talking about hydraulic lifters. Any one got any experience of setting solid lifters ???

At lowest point on cam, adjust until there is no up or down freeplay/lash, but pushrod can still be freely spun between fingers. Lock down. I always go back and check each one when done.

Last edited:
Any one got any experience of setting solid lifters ???

How it applies to air cooled engines in general or specifically to your '75 shovel? Are you wanting to know specific valve lash numbers? Was the engine solid lifter from factory.

How it applies to air cooled engines in general or specifically to your '75 shovel?

It is obvious that the op is looking for help setting the solid lifters on his `75, not air cooled engines in general...

Shovels came from the factory with hydraulic lifters.

edgydt50:
Breeze gave the correct method for setting solid lifters.

Sorry. It was not obvious to me. Now granted HD engines may be different than all others but I never have seen an air cooled solid lifter engine that had the same valve lash for both the intake & the exhaust valve.

Don't understand. Having enough clearance to spin the pushrods would be maybe .001 or .002 of lash tops. Can't see how that would be enough for any exhaust value..

Not disagreeing. Just trying to learn. Shovel heads were way before my time.

I remember adj triumph lash intake & exhaust are not the same. shovelheads just want some spinning....

Slight spin when done, be prepaired to hear some noise, These motors came from the factory with hyraulics

Jack, Is that a spin/adjustment when engine is cold or hot. Also would you happen to know if the lifters would be flat tappet or roller. Just trying to pick up some know how.

Hi
Every one that posted a reply thanks I will get back in the shed and adjust as suggested. To be honest I have only ever adjusted the tappets on British bikes before Norton Triumph and BSA as I live in England. On those you adjust the gap at the top end so adjusting the pushrod with no gap all seems a bit strange.Ive had the electraglide for a long time so thought it deserved some TLC so stripped her down and treated it to new pistons, rebore and all the usual plus some nice old English white paint to replace the Harley Birch white.
Thanks again.
Chris
:D

Don't understand. Having enough clearance to spin the pushrods would be maybe .001 or .002 of lash tops. Can't see how that would be enough for any exhaust value..
Sorry about misunderstanding your post.

This is enough clearance because it is set when cold, when the engine warms up the cylinders get slightly taller, so the clearance will be a little more once running.

Back