free website stats program Shovelhead Engine Info | Harley Davidson Forums

Shovelhead Engine Info

Subby

Guys...I need some help. I don't know a thing about the shovelhead engine so I'm hoping some of you long time Harley riders can help. My son just picked up a 1980 FLT. We're trying to locate a manual for it but, in the meantime, I need to know how much and what type of oil should be in the primary and the transmission. A local bike mechanic told my son that you don't have to put oil in the primary!!??? That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not a mechanic. HELP!

Guys...I need some help. I don't know a thing about the shovelhead engine so I'm hoping some of you long time Harley riders can help. My son just picked up a 1980 FLT. We're trying to locate a manual for it but, in the meantime, I need to know how much and what type of oil should be in the primary and the transmission. A local bike mechanic told my son that you don't have to put oil in the primary!!??? That doesn't sound right to me but I'm not a mechanic. HELP!

Check the self help section, depends on wet clutch or dry for the primary, Jack

Until you get your manual, see if this helps.

TQ

Attachments

• Periodic Maintenance from shovel_manual_66-84.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 98
Look inside the primary inspection cover. If there's a belt in there than no primary oil. If chain than you need primary oil. Fill to bottom of clutch spring plate just like the new bikes (although they look quite different). Usually if there's a belt it's an open primary so my guess is there's a chain and needs oil. Harley makes primary oil specifically for the older primaries that lubes the chain and is compatable with the clutch friction plates. It's been a long time since my shovel days so double check my info.

1.5 pints transmission, 4 quarts engine oil, dry primary unless you have a wet clutch, this is out of the Chiltons Manual that is a copy of the H D factory manual, hope this helps, Jack

Older shovels had an oiler screw on the oil pump for lubing the primary chain, caution too much oil will ruin a dry clutch

Last edited by a moderator:
TQ...the excerpt from the Shovelhead manual was just what I needed!! Jack, your info on the older shovel oiler screw solved the mystery of not having to put oil in the primary. Thanks you guys. What a forum!!!

Sorry for any misleading info I may have given. My shovel was an '83 Wide Glide. Last full year of the shovel. '84 had both shovels and the newly developed EVO at the time. I forgot about the chain oiler which most of us removed. Made too much of a mess. Fooled many people into thinking all Harley's leaked oil.

BTW here's a photo of the old shovel. The girls sure liked it and I kind of miss those days.That is if I did this right.
20020410-DSCN0359.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back